GPS Resource Page Fixed

Have questions on using a GPS?, maybe you have some thoughts on which ones work on a sled and those that won't hold up?... Let us know

Moderator: john

john
Administrator
Administrator

GPS Resource Page Fixed

#1 Post by john »

I've resolved the issues with access to the download function of the track logs http://www.snowtravelers.org/gps.php

You have to be a registered member of the site to access the page. Registration is free and harmless :) but required.

So the next step is to get more trails tracked, logged, and listed. I'll work on that this winter but could sure use some help.

You might want to look at http://gpssledmaps.com/ for some tips. Check out their "support" tab and the "How To" as well as the "Map Making Tutorial"

john
Administrator
Administrator

Re: GPS Resource Page Fixed

#2 Post by john »

All the trails I had to date have been updated.

What I've done is provided the following formats when I had enough info to do so. Some are lacking Waypoints (as I only had a track log with no waypoints specified) and some have neither and are only a graphic map.

Images = Two formats, 1) as a regular .jpg or .gif that were enlarged (layman terms, enlarged pictures) for better viewing and 2) .PDF that is the .jpg image converted to Adobe Acrobat. PDF's can be enlarged within Acrobat Reader to give you greater detail.

Download files = Here you'll find waypoints and track logs for the Fugawi and OziExplorer programs, these may be downloaded and added to your GPS depending on the program and GPS you use and prefer.

You will also notice that you may download the maps as .MPS files (these are great to use with the Garmin MapSource), and the GPX eXchange format. GPX is a format that makes the data more interchangeable.

The last heading is "Online Viewers of Trail" this gives anyone the ability to view and print a trail map. The first choice is a Google Earth view, you will need to have Google Earth on your computer to open and view these, its a great "birds eye" view of the trails.

The last one is the best (in my opinion), the Multi Option Viewer, it lets you view the trail and terrain in your web browser and change the background settings. The default view is G. Hybrid, which tries to combine the view of the land in the background. If you look at the right upper hand corner, you'll see a little downward pointing arrow to the right of Hybird, click the arrow and you can change it from Hybird, to Topo or LandSat, or a plain map view. Double "right" click on the web page (the trail map your looking at) and it'll enlarge or double "left" click and it'll reduce size of the area your viewing.

I'll add more trails as we get them and include all options I have here. We just need to get more trails mapped out and up. As we lose more trails to land sales, regulations, etc, I am hoping this will help us to establish a history of the trails we use, so when the borough trail folks, or BLM, or other entities need info on the trails we ride to help preserve them, this might be of help.