Once again Juneau want our dividend

Talk about anything at all

Moderator: john

john
Administrator
Administrator

Once again Juneau want our dividend

#1 Post by john »

When you read this, remember, It cuts the dividend to $1000 until 2019. Then dividends are based on royalty from natural resources. There are no royalties from natural resources right now. The current Dividend is based on earnings of the fund. There won't be any Royalties in 2019 because of this governor and legislature. The Dividend ends completely in 2019. Call your legislators today?
JUNEAU, Alaska (KTUU) - A bill that would set a $1,000 cap on the permanent fund dividend starting next year has passed the Senate by a vote of 14 to 5.

Senate Bill 128 would keep the limit in place through 2019, after which the yearly checks would be based on how much the state collects in revenue from natural resource royalties. Most lawmakers supported the move while a few expressed concerns.

“As an overall economy we are faltering right now,” said Sen. Anna MacKinnon, R-Eagle River. “We have credit rating agencies from across our nations looking at Alaska and telling the general business population that we are on negative watch.”

“I made a promise to my constituents that I would not cut their PFD's,” said Sen. Bill Wielechowski, D-Anchorage. “I’ve run for my seat three times and every time it’s a big issue that my constituents ask me about and every time. I've said I would do my best to protect your permanent fund.”

In a statement released Monday evening, Governor Walker praised the Senate’s approval of the bill:

“I thank members of the Senate for taking this important vote to put Alaska on the path for a sustainable future. We recognize the concern some have raised about the need for balance, which we have addressed through the remaining pieces of the New Sustainable Alaska Plan. Restructuring the Permanent Fund is the cornerstone of this plan, and a significant portion of it, but make no mistake—the work to put Alaska on a sustainable path is far from over. I applaud the Senate for taking this bold step.”

The bill will still need the House’s approval before it is passed on to the Governor’s desk. The next House floor session is scheduled for 1 p.m. Tuesday.

TheBearAk

Re: Once again Juneau want our dividend

#2 Post by TheBearAk »

okay, so here's a serious question.

State of Alaska revenues have dropped dramatically and the government is making huge cuts already. One of the largest layoffs in the history of UAA/UAF is happening. We probably won't see the full effects for another year or two as buildings need maintenance.

The proposal to raid the permanent fund is in leu of some other means to raise the money. This is all short term thinking, short term being 2-4 years. Great, that leaves a deeper hole for the next administration to try and dig out.

So where is the money going to come from?

The choices:

- Reduce the number of people in the state, therefore reducing the need for state services. (education being #1 money suck).
- Introduce a tax, either income or sales.
- Raid the permanent fund now and hope the price of oil goes back up before the money runs out.
- Find another source of revenue

See, either way, the money comes from our pockets.

More cuts? Sure, the state is in need of some trimming, however, as politicians do, they like to first cut the services that effect the most people. Like cutting snow plowing in the winter. Fairbanks/NP was fortunate that we didn't get more snow because the funding for plowing would have meant some 4 lane roads turning into 2 lane roads and some of the roads outside the core area not being plowed at all. They cut those services first because then they can come back and say "See, we need more money" If they cut back funding something that is useless, nobody would notice. That is *not* how politicians think.
1996 Skidoo Touring E 380
1995 Skidoo Summit 583