Summit is officially open for buisness

Where is the best riding to so far this year

Moderator: john

dirtyrice

Summit is officially open for buisness

#1 Post by dirtyrice »

Went on Friday and it was amazing. Still had to be careful of rocks because the base isn't fully set up. Once we got to the tit there was 2 feet of powder. On the back side of the tit it was over the hood deep and sometimes handlebars deep. It was a good day to be riding a 163 track! Here is a quick video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GA0u_Ofx_g

Under the snow in the pic is me carving on the backside of the tit.

akbeagle

Re: Summit is officially open for buisness

#2 Post by akbeagle »

where can I get maps of the trails at Summit??? thanks

john
Administrator
Administrator

#3 Post by john »

The only map of the Summit area I have access to is listed in our GPS Track dB.

Summit map/info we have is at http://www.snowtravelers.org/fielding2maclaren.php

But it is lacking some GPS info.

I don't think there are any "trails" per sa in Summit, how about some of your Summit riders shouting out here.

sellisrulz

#4 Post by sellisrulz »

I agree, Summit isn't a trail riding area. It's mountains, no trees, and endless. Go with somebody that knows the area and can show you landmarks. Someone you trust who will also point out where not to go!

cleary

#5 Post by cleary »

I guess the only things at Summit that could be called trails are the Pipeline and the Denali Highway. The rest of it is wide open riding anywhere you want to go. Check out my website http://www.clearysummit.com click on my Summit 2009 and 2010 links.

Chuck

TheBearAk

#6 Post by TheBearAk »

Best to go with someone who knows the area.. You can get switched around pretty quickly in the mountains. There are some "trails". More like paths people commonly take. ha ha.

Like all along phelan creek , which I suppose is covered by saying "pipeline". Some people will park at phelan creek and ride up into the hoodoos from there. It is about 4 miles from where the main camp for Arctic Man usually is.

Another popular parking area is at Fielding Lake. From there you can go just about everywhere. There should be a trail heading south from there that goes into MacLaren, which is a good ride.
Note that trails can get blown in nightly, so don't rely on tracks to get you too and from a place. Major landmarks.

Summit gets more popular in March and April. For one, most of the interior snow is gone so people head out to the mountains, but also the daylight. Really tough to ride in the mountains when it is dark, so the 4-5 hours of daylight in December and January may not be worth the trip for some. You can also stay down in the flats though.

There are several road side pull outs as well, but I'm not a big fan of being so close to the road.

Lots of dangers in the mountains. Besides the ones that people always think about, like avalanches, there are others that are not as obvious. You might come across this giant field of snow and it all looked great until you discover that it is a glacier and there are large crevasses. Then the ever popular drop down into a bowl only to find out you can't get back out, and then there is simply getting lost.
1996 Skidoo Touring E 380
1995 Skidoo Summit 583