Help/Advice needed

Technical discussion related to engine performance, clutching, setup, and other snowmachine modifications.

Moderator: john

usaof1_army

Help/Advice needed

#1 Post by usaof1_army »

Ok I am posting this on the general and not sled specific cause I do not think it is sled specific. I was gone all of December on leave and got back on Jan 7th and went out last friday to go for a ride and my sled would not start. The throttle seemed to be frozen as I could not push it in hardly at all. I do nto have a garage to put it in and do not know if this is a normal thing to happen up here since this is the first year I have had a sled here.
Anyone that has any advice for me I would be greatly indebted. By the way my sled is an 02 XCSP 800. Thanks and have a great day

Greg
Live for today, dream for tomorrow, but never dwell on the past. Life is way to short

john
Administrator
Administrator

#2 Post by john »

1st, Not normal.

I just fixed a similar problem, well actually, the same exact problem on the 6 wheeler.

The problem was the throttle cable. Had a couple cracks in it, got some moisture in it and it froze. I simple replaced the whole cable.

Since you don't have a garage, can you tent it and heat up the tent ?

If it thaws and the throttle works you'll know its a freeze up issue. If not, check the throttle cable all the way to the carb, see if its hanging on something, maybe twisted.

Let us know what it is when you get it figured out. Always interested in hearing about solutions to these can of things.

usaof1_army

#3 Post by usaof1_army »

John,

Thanks for the reply and the advice. I have a friend in the North Pole that has offered me her garage if I want it and I think I am going to wait and see if the warmer weather they are calling for later in the week helps any, but more than likely I will be taking it up there and trying to figure it out. I will be sure to let you know. Thanks again for the advice

Greg
Live for today, dream for tomorrow, but never dwell on the past. Life is way to short

Alaskan Polar Bear

#4 Post by Alaskan Polar Bear »

Hey Greg
first nice sled!
the frozen throttle cable is problematic with polaris as the handle bar warmers are so hot and close they draw mostiure to that area.
once you tried to move the throttle , the lever moved off the 2 throttle saftey switches ,located in the throttle lever block thats probably the reason why it won't start.
ussaly the mostiure is in the cable in the single line between the lever and the splitter . if you can heat this up it;ll break free and work untill you park again for the nite.
the fix thaw and blow out the mostiure with canned air or some sort of alcohal then relube using something like silicone spray or grafite spray.\
with 27 polaris snowmachine I have had this problem a number of times. I ussaly thaw the sled , open the splitter and blow it out and then blow silicone spry down the darn small cable and put it back in service, I have been covering the handle bars with gauntlets turned down at nite and the problem has dropped off greatly.
hope this helps
Tony
No track and engine? what's the point?
2006 Polaris 755 RMK 159
2006 Polaris 755 RMK 151
2003 Polaris 550 super sport 121
2002 Polaris 700 RMK 144
1998 Polaris XLT Special 600 121
1976 Polaris TXL 340 Liquid
1972 / 74 Skiroule 300 RTX
and a few more

usaof1_army

#5 Post by usaof1_army »

Tony,

Thanks for the information. I am going to do the thawing thing and then get my manual out and try to figure out where everything is you are talking about. I am just wanting to get it up and going by saturday so I can ride in the nice weather for a change. I am off Friday and so I am sitting that day asaide to do everything or at least get a very good start on it.
Thanks again for all the advice and everyone enjoy your weekend

Greg

Alaskan Polar Bear

fix it

#6 Post by Alaskan Polar Bear »

Hey greg
it's a quick fix , if you need some pointers / help let me know if you could use a hand friday.
4881330 Tony
2006 Polaris 755 RMK 159
2006 Polaris 755 RMK 151
2002 Polaris 700 RMK 144
and a few more

usaof1_army

#7 Post by usaof1_army »

Tony,

Thanks a lot for the help Tony and for offering to help even more. It is sometimes hard to find people to help you with things when you are new to an area and this site has been awesome. Just don't be surprised if you hear from me on Friday as I am not a mech genius when it comes to working on anything. I tend to read into a problem much more than I should which justs cause the blood pressure to rise.
Anyway thanks again and I am sure I will be calling you

Greg

David

#8 Post by David »

Tony I had almost the same problem with a skidoo 583, it would start fine at home or in the garage but when I would trailer it out,it wouldn't start, I had an idea something was freezing up, I pulled the air breather and shot starting fluid down in the carb and it would try to start but just wouldn't keep going, I changed all plugs and again no good, finally I ask around and found that the primer might be the problem and maybe even bad gas, I changed the primer and it started the first time, I think it just wasn;t getting fuel, I also put a lot of HEET in the gas to elimanate any moisture I assume that helped some also.
Hope this helps some, primers are about $19.95 and easy to change if you think that might be the problem.
Dave

David

#9 Post by David »

Sorry the last message was for Greg.
Dave

usaof1_army

#10 Post by usaof1_army »

Thanks Dave. I just wish I knew half as much as everyone else here, but give me a year or two and I will figure it out. I just came back from mandatory fun at Lavelles with my boss and saw 4 sleds running down the bike path on Chena Pump road by my house and thought man it would be an awesome ride tonight..*beep* thing...Anyway thanks again

Greg

David

#11 Post by David »

Greg there are about 5 or 6 of us going to Cleary Summit and ride the Chatanika trails Saturday you are welcom to come along if you can.
let me know ,we are all novic riders and have our wives with us so easy riding, we do have two extrems with us so if you want to go hard they are willing.
Dave

usaof1_army

#12 Post by usaof1_army »

Dave,

Since I now do not have to help my buddy move I would more than love to come if I can get the sled thing figured out. Went to the polaris shop today and talked to them and they gave me some pointers and so tomorrow I am going to spend all day if I have to with it since I am off. You can give me a call if you want tomorrow sometime and I can tell you one way or the other Dave. HM number is 455-4468 and cell is 590-7610. If no answer leave me a message and I will get right back to ya. Thankls again and hope to ride saturday with you all

Greg

Alaskan Polar Bear

primers

#13 Post by Alaskan Polar Bear »

Dave , you are right about the primers being a problem in some sleds
very few polaris's have primers and the 800 didin't have one from the factoryu and I 'm guessing it still doesn't
I wish that most of mine did though,.....
what time are people meeting for the chatinika ride and where?
my ex-wife and I have a set of new sleds that we need to put a few miles on them soon.
thanks
Tony
2006 Polaris 755 RMK 159
2006 Polaris 755 RMK 151
2002 Polaris 700 RMK 144
and a few more

David

#14 Post by David »

Tony it looks like it will be 5 of us and we plan to meet at Fox gas station at 0930 and cruise up to cleery and unload,
it will be a good day and warm, everyone with me are really great people and two women so we don't get to crazy, my wife and one other guys wife, I drive a Blue Ford F350 will have a two place trailer tomorrow.

Tony you know that Dean is also leading the 42 mile McKay trail ride if you wanted to go farther.
If you want just meet us up there.
Dave

usaof1_army

#15 Post by usaof1_army »

Ok guys I went to the Polaris dealer yesterday to get some help also and so I came home and this morning I pulled my plugs and they were black and wet? I replaced them with new ones and I pulled about 10 times and not even a hint it wanted to start and then I started smelling gas. I take it the throttle must be stuck as I still have a little play at the paddle with the cable. So I guess I am going to try to get it on my trailer, which I already know is just going to *beep* me off even more and then take it to the polaris dealer here in town if they can get me in and see if they can figure it out. I think I mentioned that I am not mechanical in anyway shape or form and so this is all I can think of. I really want to ride as I just heard the updated forcast and calling for warm weather through Monday and since I have a 4 day weekend I want to get out and have some fun.
If you have any other ideas please let me know either through the forum or give me a call at the numbers above. The outpost does not open till 1000 and so I will call them then and see if they can get me in

Greg