Iron Dog Trail

Whats going on around the state

Moderator: john

Darrell

Iron Dog Trail

#1 Post by Darrell »

john how your ride up the slough go?
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

john
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Iron Dog Trail

#2 Post by john »

Good to the Bonnifield, then the ice got pretty thin and broke on us in a few spots.

Thinking we'll need to leave the slough and try overland.

Did find an old trail that headed in the right direction, but it was pretty brushy. I plan to go again next weekend and do some more scouting and hopefully get the route set to at least half way to the Flood Project.

john
Administrator
Administrator

#3 Post by john »

Iron Dog Guide is available on line at

http://www.irondograce.org/wp-content/u ... de2011.pdf

PS: Still need some volunteers for race status reporting, the finish and trail staking.

paulneva

#4 Post by paulneva »

John,

I talked to Steve about trail marking at the meeting last Wednesday. He said he would do that with me. When does it need to be done by?

Steve,

When do you want to do it? My wife's machine has a hitch (pin type) but I do not have a toboggan. Will we need a second toboggan?

Paul
Paul S. Renschen

Summit800

#5 Post by Summit800 »

Paul, If we are doing the piece from Nenena to the Salchacket slough, It would be best to do that the day prior to the release from Tanana. That way, the local troublemakers have less time to mess with the stakes. Thats what we did two years ago. Just to stake the trail, we just need one toboggin, I still have the one we used last time, so we should be good on that.

All you should need is your lunch, your usual great additude and sence of humor.

john
Administrator
Administrator

#6 Post by john »

I agree with Summit800 on all aspect of that post, especially the great attitude and sense of humor.

Steve and Paul, that would be a great help.

We have three sections to stake:

1. Nenana to Tanana/Salchaket (50 miles +-)
2. Tanana/Salchaket to Chena Lakes D@mn (33 miles +- and includes the fuel depot marking on the Floodway)
3. Chena Lakes D@man to downtown FB (30 miles +- hoping the Tired (Iron) Guys will help on this section, but no guarantees at this point)

I should have stakes here by the Feb 12th for distribution. The middle section will need more staking to identify the new route, junctions and the new check point/fuel depot.

and thanks !!!!!!!

Summit800

#7 Post by Summit800 »

I may be interested in staking the piece from the flood controll to town, should fairly easy as there is a ton of traffic on that streach. And a well beat down trail, are a few hazards though.

john
Administrator
Administrator

#8 Post by john »

Well heck Steve, since your starting in Nenana, just mark as you go <BG>

Again, thanks for that section. I'd like to coordinate with you, Paul and the Tired Iron folks (if they do the last section). I'll do the middle section and can also help on the Floodway to Town section as needed.

Alan O and I got a good portion tracked today, from about 3/4 of the way across the Tanana River (close to the Floodway side) to the Chena River. Not a lot of miles, but we did set the crossing for the Tanana to the Flats, almost :<)

I'm planning on taking the 24th and 25th to work on staking and on Sat AM (26th) will need to double check the middle section to make sure no ones messed with the stakes and signage.

john
Administrator
Administrator

#9 Post by john »

Anyone willing to help do some brushing on Sunday ?

I'm trying to get a brushing crew together to brush about 3 miles of trail.

Post or email me bearqst@ak.net

Thanks

john
Administrator
Administrator

#10 Post by john »

Tomorrow

Sunday
Partly cloudy. Highs 5 to 30 above...warmest in the hills. East winds to 10 mph.

Nice weather for an easy ride and little a brush cutting.