Whats going on around the state

Moderator: john

john
Administrator
Administrator

Iron Dog Help

#1 Post by john »

Hi fellow Snow Travelers,

The Iron Dog starts Feb 19th and is scheduled to end in downtown Fairbanks on Sat Feb 25th.

We'll need some help staffing the office during the week of Feb 19 through the 25th. Jody and Steve have staffed it in the past and will be doing so again (Thank You). However, it’s a lot of hours for two people and some additional help would sure be appreciated.

Trail work will begin during the week of Monday Feb, 20th or sooner if weather allows.

We have four (4) basic trail sections:

1. Tanana River from Nenana to the Mouth of the Chena;
2. Tanana River from the Mouth of the Chena to the Flood way Dike at the Flood Control Project;
3. Across the Flood Control Project to the Chena River by the dam;
4. Chena River from the dam to downtown Fairbanks.

What we would like to do is start setting the trail. The first section should be OK and we'll check it out during the FST's Sweetheart run, Feb 12th.

If we can get the other sections tracked on Monday through Wed of race week, then run it all on Friday or Saturday (finish day) and set stakes. Last year some stakes were moved and we had to scramble to get them reset, by staking on Friday/Saturday, I’m hoping to avoid that scenario this year.

Ideally, we could use a minimum of 4 crews of at least two each for each section. I'd like to do the Flood Control section as I also have to get the Fuel Depot area plowed and set up as well.

Steve Nolan and Paul R. have volunteered to stake the first section.

Steve and Nicole will be staffing the Fuel Depot during race day and helping with the staking through the Floodway.

Mike S has volunteered to run and stake the Chena Lake Dam to downtown section on Saturday 2/25 starting at 8:00 AM, but he needs at least one other rider to go with him.

We still need a couple folks to run and stake on the Tanana from the mouth of the Chena River to the Flood way Dike as well as some additional help for the other 3 sections.

Please let me know if you’re willing and able to help out. This is our sport and your help is very much appreciated.

Thanks

Bashley

Re: Iron Dog Help

#2 Post by Bashley »

I'll be able to donate a couple days between the 20th and the 26th. Let me know what you need and we'll make something work.
'06 Yamaha Attak
'09 M8 HCR

john
Administrator
Administrator

#3 Post by john »

Thanks Brian

I'll drop you a note soon.

john
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Post by john »

For those that are helping, thanks a lot, but we still need a few more bodies and sleds.

Now that were getting some warmer temps and the start of the Iron Dog is getting closer, I thought it was time to send out an update as to where were at. As it now stands, we have the trail staking covered as follows:

1. Steve Nolan and Paul Renschen = Tanana River from Nenana to mouth of Chena River

2. Need Volunteers = Tanana River from mouth of Chena River to Dike

3. John Johnston and Steve Ellis = Dike across Chena Flood Project to Chena River Dam and the fuel depot set up and staffing

4. Brian Ashley Needs 2nd Person = Dam at Chena River to finish line

Tim Jauhola and Tommy ran the river all the way to Galena a couple weeks ago. However, after Sunday's ride it was obvious that the new snow and wind has covered it up. So we'll need to break it open again.

This coming Sunday's Sweatheart Run will open it from Chena Pump Landing to Nenana, but we'll still need to run the rest of the way to the finish to get it set and packed down.

I'm hoping we can get at least a few more volunteers to fill in the holes.

Brian Ashley will need help Saturday morning , 2/25 to run stake from the Chena Dam to the finish.

I'll also need help with the section on the Tanana River from the mouth of Chena River to Dike.

On the week of Feb 19th I plan to run the Tanana, across the Floodway, and the Chena into downtown to the finish and would sure appreciate some help. Thinking we could do this in two days and make sure the trail is opened for those that will be running stakes at the end of the week.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

billy6384

#5 Post by billy6384 »

I can fill in somewhere, I will be out of town the 18th-20th, but I can help whoever the following weekend. Just fill me in on the when and where.
2018 XF High Country 800 141"
2010 Crossfire 800 141"/Melissa's sled

john
Administrator
Administrator

#6 Post by john »

Thanks Billy,

I send you an email with contact info.

mit

#7 Post by mit »

I'm going to Deadman by snowmachine on the 16th and coming back on the 20th. I could return on the river but I hate that dang river!! I have seen it well marked in some years and other years hardly any markers.
Tim Berg
The Snowmachine Registration, needs to be Repealed!

john
Administrator
Administrator

#8 Post by john »

I have stakes you can always take along and solve the problem of not being well marked :grtruckn:

mit

#9 Post by mit »

john wrote:I have stakes you can always take along and solve the problem of not being well marked :grtruckn:

I thought you might say that! :wall: How many do you think it would take between Deadman and Nenana? I will park at the mondo but could mark to the Bridge....
I have been thinking about flying out too..... I will try to be at the meeting on the 15th to talk..... ???
Tim Berg

john
Administrator
Administrator

#10 Post by john »

See ya Wed, how many trail miles is it from the Nenana to Deadman ?

mit

#11 Post by mit »

About 55 from the Mondrosa.
Tim Berg

john
Administrator
Administrator

#12 Post by john »

Anyone up for a ride tomorrow (Monday) or Tuesday 2/21 up the Tanana from Chena Pump Landing to the Floodway ?

Stephen E. Enochs
Board Member
Board Member

#13 Post by Stephen E. Enochs »

I think Tuesday would be a good day for me to ride along with ya let me know if Tuesday is good at what time
Stephen

Stephen E. Enochs
Board Member
Board Member

#14 Post by Stephen E. Enochs »

I can help out in the office...just let me know the timesw and dates you need help and a contact info...Jody?
Stephen

john
Administrator
Administrator

#15 Post by john »

Stephen E. Enochs wrote:I think Tuesday would be a good day for me to ride along with ya let me know if Tuesday is good at what time
Stephen
Thanks Steve, Tuesday works for me.

Want to meet at Chena Lakes, say 9:30 ?

Call me 460.9935