What to ride

Arctic Cats

Moderator: john

johnson03

What to ride

#1 Post by johnson03 »

I'm getting stationed at Eielson this summer and want to drag a sled up from Minnesota. I was wondering if I should bring a Crossfire or a Mountain Cat. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
-PJ

john
Administrator
Administrator

#2 Post by john »

Either would work. Do you like trail riding ? Bring the Crossover, if your a "mountains only" rider, bring the Mountain Cat.

I like the Crossover for it's versitility, the wife runs an older Mountain Cat and it does great. Deep paddles (2 inches or more) would be the issue, need them for the mountains and powder, but anything over 1 & 1/4 is a rough ride on the trails.

johnson03

#3 Post by johnson03 »

Thank you sir. So around fairbanks, the crossover would work around the flood projects and such...how will it do in the mountains up there? I guess that I'd like to go around Denali and Summit Lake/Lake Summit (spelling?) that I've heard of. Any more info is greatly appreciated. pj

JDL

#4 Post by JDL »

Can't go wrong with a switchback!)

Unless you are in super deep and soft powder, you'll probably be fine.
04 Switchback 600
05 Trail RMK
03 ProX 600

90% of all Arctic Cats are still out on the mountains/trails today.

The other 10% actaully made it back home!

mountaicat800

#5 Post by mountaicat800 »

nah he needs to stick with Cat !
2007 M8 153 Arctic Cat Rules

john
Administrator
Administrator

#6 Post by john »

johnson03 wrote:So around fairbanks, the crossover would work around the flood projects and such...how will it do in the mountains up there? I guess that I'd like to go around Denali and Summit Lake/Lake Summit (spelling?) that I've heard of. Any more info is greatly appreciated. pj
The CrossFire will be fine. It'll get you around Chena Lakes Rec area (Flood Project) and do you good at either Summit lake or the Denali area (Cantwell, where were going tonight :) )

Get a track with 1 and 1/2 to 2 inch paddles, the 2 paddles will do much better in the powder, say in the Summit or Cantwell areas, but as I said will be a rougher ride on the trails.

And also bring up and learn to use a GPS. A mut have if your into exploring. You can get lost in "them thar hills".

And if you do plan on doing a lot mountain climbing, a beacon and probe are handy to have. Get one of the new digital beacon, then give it to your riding buddy so he can find find you quicker :amu:

I ride a Panther with Summons Ski and a 1 and 1/4 paddle track. It works great in all the areas, but then I don't do any steep hill climbing or high marking.

JDL: At least he'll most likely get his CAT off the trailer and put some miles on it. Not like your switchback :bang:

mountaicat800

#7 Post by mountaicat800 »

Cantwell bound in about 30 minutes !
2007 M8 153 Arctic Cat Rules

john
Administrator
Administrator

#8 Post by john »

A hour behind ya.... Just waiting for the wife to get home :)