Help Needed - Fuel Intake Problems/'87-88 Skidoo Ch. Safari

Tune ups, maintenance, and general help on your sleds

Moderator: john

Winter_hag

Re: Help Needed - Fuel Intake Problems/'87-88 Skidoo Ch. Saf

#16 Post by Winter_hag »

Summit800 - Thanks again! The primer line on mine comes off the main line on the tank side if the fuel pump. I have the fuel pump off, and tested it. Definitely time for a rebuild there. The primer looks good, but I think I'll get a new one just to have a spare on hand, as it's a long hike down to the road and back for spare parts, even when someone runs the spares out from town for me. I haven't got to the tank yet, but that is the next step on my list. There's supposed to be a filter where the fuel line connects into the tank, and I had the same suspicion - maybe it's partially plugged, or maybe the line has somehow gotten kinked or pinched.
The lines were supposedly replaced in '05, and they feel supple still. Of course, I'm only running about -10F at my elevation.

Winter_hag

#17 Post by Winter_hag »

OK, a REALLY basic, probably dumb, question: How do I get to the fuel tank??? I can't see any means of detaching the cover, and I can't find anything about it in the Shop Manual either.
It's the back of the tank I need to get at, where the fuel line comes off and the filter is located, although I would also like to look at the whole run of the line to where it crosses into the engine compartment.

Summit800

#18 Post by Summit800 »

You need to remove the seat, there ase two screws near the rear of the tunnel that run UP from the bottom. Pull those 2 screws and grab the seat, pull to the rear, and the tank should now be exposed, along with the lines.

Winter_hag

#19 Post by Winter_hag »

Thank you very much, Summit800!