Spark Plugs

Tune ups, maintenance, and general help on your sleds

Moderator: john

TheBearAk

Spark Plugs

#1 Post by TheBearAk »

My Touring E was going through plugs like crazy. I use to always buy the NGK BR9ES, standard plug for most 90's Skidoos, Cats, and even Polaris.

One winter I went through 6 sets of plugs on the Touring E (about 800 miles total). The worst part about it was that I'd be riding along and then all of a sudden it would drop a cylinder, the plug was like a fuse.

I switched the Touring over to Champion RN3C plug and have over 500 miles on that set of plugs and they are still going strong.

Just had my Polaris XLT drop 2 of the 3 cylinders. Turned out one of the plug wires was broken, but one of the NGK plugs was bad too. The plug wire probably had been broken for some time and once the RPM went up, there was enough power to jump the gap in the wire, so it ran great at higher speeds and seem to idle fine, but it could be that it was only hitting on 2 of the 3 cylinders. Changed out the spark plugs with Autolite (403) and changed out the broken plug wire and the thing fired right up.

I've pretty much given up on NGK plugs. I keep a cross reference on my phone that includes Champion, Autolite, AC Delco, and Boesch.
1996 Skidoo Touring E 380
1995 Skidoo Summit 583

dragonman

Re: Spark Plugs

#2 Post by dragonman »

:sled: All the newer Polaris's run Champion I have 4 sleds and they have run 2 years on same plug
2 are carburetors 2 are fuel injected fuel injection helps alot
What ever you buy make sure the plug end near the wire is SOLID not a *beep* on tip
Give the plug wire end a little die electric grease :lol:
2015 Polaris Voyager 550 155" track
2014 Polaris 850 XP Touring eps ATV 28: Zilla tires
2014 Polaris RZR 570 26" Swamp Lites
2012 Polaris Pro RMK 800 163"
2012 Polaris 850 XP eps ATV 31" outlaw tires 2" lift