March 28

Upcoming club rides. Who's got the skinny on the trip, when do we go, where do we meet ?

Moderator: john

paulneva

March 28

#1 Post by paulneva »

We have no leader for the ride at Summit on the 28th. Without a leader that ride will cancelled. I have been hearing that the snow is great in the White Mountains this winter. Is anybody else interested in a White Mountains ride from the Steese on the 28th?

Paul
Paul S. Renschen

paulneva

Re: March 28

#2 Post by paulneva »

Since there is no interest in a ride in the White Mountains on the 28th, is there anyone interested in a ride in the Tanana Flats on the 28th?

Paul
Paul S. Renschen

AK Wanderer

#3 Post by AK Wanderer »

Hey Paul:
Anne and I would be interested in riding in the White Mountains from the Steese end. We haven't ridden there before. We would have responded earlier-----but didn't know our work schedules. Let us know. Thanks, Tom

Blars

#4 Post by Blars »

Yeah- Both rides sound good to me. Just post where and when- Thanks Blars.

Christien&Shelbye

#5 Post by Christien&Shelbye »

Shelbye and I might be down for going. Just got word my RMK is fixed! We tried to do the White Mountains 3 or 4 weeks back but had mechanical troubles and turned around about 6 miles in or so. The snow was DEEP. Lots of opportunities for off trail riding on the tops of the hills. Might be pretty windblown now though. But we are slated to get some snow over the next couple days; so who knows.

paulneva

#6 Post by paulneva »

Sorry, when I had absolutely no replies, I made other plans. But it sounds like there are enough of you for a ride into the White Mountains. I am going to suggest that you all meet up at the Chatanika Lodge at 0900. Have a good ride!

Paul
Paul S. Renschen

AK Wanderer

#7 Post by AK Wanderer »

We will go to Plan B and head out to the lake for the weekend. Thanks anyway, Tom

Darrell

#8 Post by Darrell »

Rode the Mc Kay trail 3/26, 1 inch or more new snow from Chat lodge out on road and trail. Some good drifts on the trail just before crossing the into the rec area one should have a shovel along just in case. Run some of the old cat trails going down hill to Nome ck, left a side mirror on one of them hit a tree. :roll: The Flat coming into Nome Ck wind blown rough, as is the Nome ck road. Over flow starting on Nome creek not to bad yet. I would think the upper valley would be lots of small hard drifts (Quartz trail). Seen a trail across from the Nome ck access road that I think goes to Richard cabin blown in, could need that shovel again. Did see birds, some moose sign, and the trail to Cache mt cabin should be ok.
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

john
Administrator
Administrator

#9 Post by john »

So who's leading, where you meeting, where you going ? The McKay Trail is a good run and easy to follow.

cleary

#10 Post by cleary »

Up here on Cleary Summit we have been hammered by high winds for the last two weeks. Up to 57 MPH at times. Some of the drifts up here are hard enough to ice skate on, well almost. I suspect that the high ridges in the Whites will be scoured down to rock and tundra.

The Fairbanks Creek Road is being plowed but the snow along the ditch side of the road is being left for us from Cleary Summit to the Circle Trail, trail head. I'll check it out this evening to see if it needs grooming. I want to thank the miners that have to get their equipment into Fairbanks Creek before load limits go on for leaving a trail for us.

Chuck

Darrell

#11 Post by Darrell »

Cleary is great for a late close in run as the snow goes out down in the flats. 3 cheers for the miners

cleary

#12 Post by cleary »

I checked out the trail from here on Cleary Summit to Champagne Rock on the trail to Chatanika. I groomed the 2.2 mile section of the Fairbanks Creek Road that the miners left for us. It is in great shape as is the Circle Trail to the Chatanika Cutoff. The trail down the ridge toward Chatanika has some minor drifting on it but not enough to warrant grooming. Should be a good weekend.

Chuck

john
Administrator
Administrator

#13 Post by john »

Who went where ? How was the ride ?

Christien&Shelbye

#14 Post by Christien&Shelbye »

I didn't feel like trailering anywhere so I just rode my freshly fixed Polaris RMK around on the trails in the Goldstream Valley. Went from the ponds near Murphy Dome Rd following the railroad to the base of Murphy dome and back. Trail was packed solid with 1/2" of fresh stuff. The ponds all had a 1 or 2" layer of crust with a 8" layer of real super fine sandy snow. Very carve-able but not the best riding I've had lately. Either way it gave me a great work out and allowed me to test my sled out. Fortunately no major overflow out that way yet.

Darrell

#15 Post by Darrell »

Check my jetting on the Chena, (changed jets) run up river only to the golf course on Wainwright from Hamilton acres. Then a short run down Noyes slough to fish and game and back to Hamilton acres 28 mile total for me. Light was really flat. 28 mile for me. Sunday going to be a good one hope everyone gets out best riding of the year is now. I hate summer :mrgreen: