April 25-26

Upcoming club rides. Who's got the skinny on the trip, when do we go, where do we meet ?

Moderator: john

paulneva

April 25-26

#1 Post by paulneva »

The last scheduled FST ride this season will be at Cantwell on 25 and 26 April. We will meet in the dinner next to the Tesoro Station at the corner of the Parks and Denali Highways on Saturday. I would like to leave there at 0930, so if you want breakfast there, please try to get there a little early. I am going to drive down on Friday so I can look around before deciding where to ride. The last time I was there, 4 April, we rode toward the Dunkles. The riding was great! We will probably be going back there on Saturday and decide on Saturday where we will ride on Sunday.

Paul
Paul S. Renschen

Christien&Shelbye

Re: April 25-26

#2 Post by Christien&Shelbye »

I'll deff. be joining you guys on this ride. We are trying to find a sitter for our son so my wife can come along as well. How many miles do you guys plan on riding each day; so I have some idea of how much gas I am going to need to bring.

If we did decide to stay down there overnight would Backwoods Lodge be the best option there?

Going to have to leave the banks pretty early to make the 9:30am start time. Could the ride leader PM me their cell phone and that way I can at least txt or call the leader in case we are running behind that day? Last time we rode in Cantwell we got stuck on the parks in Denali for over an hour while they cleared out an accident.

BTW...Arctic Man was awesome this year! Best riding I've ever had in my life. We got there nice and early on Tuesday and had some amazing weather and awesome riding conditions. Thanks to the 2 guys who bailed me out of the bomb crater I made ontop of that mountain when I got stuck. That was the deepest snow I've seen in my 32 years in Alaska.

paulneva

#3 Post by paulneva »

There are two gas stations in Cantwell and I intend to have us back at our trailers before anyone runs out of gas. I expect that we will ride somewhere between 40 and 60 miles on Saturday, a little less on Sunday.

Backwoods Lodge is the recommended place to stay in Cantwell. There are cheaper places, but Backwoods Lodge is always clean and has a small fridge and a microwave in every room and gas grills on the deck.

My cell is not normally on, but I will try to remember to turn in on on Saturday morning. The number is 322 6649.

See you there.

Paul
Paul S. Renschen

Alaskan Polar Bear

#4 Post by Alaskan Polar Bear »

Yo group/ I went to Arctic man as well and had a blast, I had to leave friday for a Sat and SUNDAY tour in cantwell , I stayed at the backwoods and it was great , Sunday got up for breakfast and went to the resturant by the gas station acrross the street and there was a sign up that said we will open at 10.30 well at 11.15 we went to healy to eat. when we got back they had changed the sign to read . we will be closed sun and mon , so I wouldn't trust them to be open ever! I;d eat eggs off the pavement first before they get any of my money what a poor way to run a biz.,
my two cents worth.
tony
No track and engine? what's the point?
2006 Polaris 755 RMK 159
2006 Polaris 755 RMK 151
2003 Polaris 550 super sport 121
2002 Polaris 700 RMK 144
1998 Polaris XLT Special 600 121
1976 Polaris TXL 340 Liquid
1972 / 74 Skiroule 300 RTX
and a few more

Christien&Shelbye

#5 Post by Christien&Shelbye »

That sure does suck Tony. If it's the same little cafe/burger/bbq joint I'm thinking of we had really good luck there. Young guy in his late 20's or early 30's was really cordial. Sat and talked about Yamaha's for a good 30 minutes and he made the Wife & I a *beep* good Ruben Sandwich and Bacon Cheese Burger. I doubt he gets much business through there. Shame you had a bad experience as we really liked the place. But that's not certainly how u run a business you are right there.

ObiJuanAk

#6 Post by ObiJuanAk »

I'll be driving down Friday evening. See you there! :supperhappy:

Anyone else going?

Juan

john
Administrator
Administrator

#7 Post by john »

Sounds like Dub (young guy's name) had a bad day..

I'll ask him what's going on, probable slow business, but hey, that's Cantwell these days with the land issues and all.

Don Lowell

#8 Post by Don Lowell »

I plan on going, see you tonight!
Don

AK Wanderer

#9 Post by AK Wanderer »

Anne and I are planning on joining this ride....Weather permitting.

Tom

paulneva

#10 Post by paulneva »

I just got off the phone with the Killer Smoke Cafe (next to the Tesoro station in Cantwell). He will be open about 0730 this Saturday and 0830 on Sunday morning for breakfast. He will set up a buffet with things like scrambled eggs and toast for those who want a quick breakfast. If you are looking for lodging, he says he has cabins. Ph: 907 354 1747.

Paul
Paul S. Renschen

aurora_hunter

#11 Post by aurora_hunter »

I am planning on going too.

Naoki

ObiJuanAk

#12 Post by ObiJuanAk »

paulneva wrote:The last scheduled FST ride this season will be at Cantwell on 25 and 26 April. We will meet in the dinner next to the Tesoro Station at the corner of the Parks and Denali Highways on Saturday. I would like to leave there at 0930, so if you want breakfast there, please try to get there a little early. I am going to drive down on Friday so I can look around before deciding where to ride. The last time I was there, 4 April, we rode toward the Dunkles. The riding was great! We will probably be going back there on Saturday and decide on Saturday where we will ride on Sunday.

Paul
Paul,

Is the plan to ride or trailer from the meeting point?

Juan :geek:

paulneva

#13 Post by paulneva »

All,

Check this site before you leave for Cantwell. The Park Service has already closed some areas to riding. The area we are interested in is still open as of today. I will call them tomorrow to make sure that is still true and post their answer here before I leave.

Juan,

The plan is to trailer from the meeting point.

Paul
Paul S. Renschen

REVITUP

#14 Post by REVITUP »

Our plans now are that we will be going down to Cantwell to ride saturday. Forecast doesn't look to promising but what the heck, it's about the end of riding season (may need rain gear). It may make for some good laughs at the potluck!!

john
Administrator
Administrator

#15 Post by john »

:exhausted:

Today
Apr 24
Details
SnowSnow
Hi: 30° Lo: 9°
Day: Snow. High 30F. Winds SW at 4 mph. Air Quality: Good, UV Index: 2
80%
Night: Fog. Low 9F. Winds S at 5 mph.
0%

Tomorrow Apr 25
Details
SnowSnow
Hi: 29° Lo: 29°
Day: Snow. High 29F. Winds S at 15 mph. Air Quality: Good, UV Index: 2
80%
Night: Snow. Low 29F. Winds S at 16 mph.
80%

Sunday
Apr 26 SnowSnow
Hi: 32° Lo: 28°
Snow. High 32F. Winds S at 15 mph. Air Quality: Good, UV Index: 2
80%