Local - inside Fairbanks area trails

Upcoming club rides. Who's got the skinny on the trip, when do we go, where do we meet ?

Moderator: john

Halcool

Local - inside Fairbanks area trails

#1 Post by Halcool »

Does anyone have a list of local inside Fairbanks area trail heads? Like something off of farmers loop or gold stream, or near the college. Something that I don't have to pack up the snowmachine onto a trailer and drive it there.

paulneva

Re: Local - inside Fairbanks area trails

#2 Post by paulneva »

I don't know of any list but if you tell us where you live someone will probably be able to tell you how to get into local trails without trailering up. I do most of my riding without trailering.

Paul
Paul S. Renschen

07F8

#3 Post by 07F8 »

i live off yankovich, cant say i know the trails, i usually just ditch bang, you can get to the steese end of farmers loop on the bike path/trail beside of it( i dont know how legal the bike path is) theres some trails that head out old steese mostly powerline, you come out at curry's corner then just head up CHSR, ive run it quite a bit, not too bad, you can get to nordale, or keep going out CHSR, ive cruised it quite a bit

Summit800

#4 Post by Summit800 »

There is a trail that takes off from Ballaine Road about 3/4 of a mile or so from the intersection of Goldstream Rd.
That trail will lead yoy to the intersection of the old steese and Goldstream.
Just across the road to your left from that intersection is the trail that will lead you to the pipeline hill. from there you have a few options.
You can turn right at the first intersection and cross the Elliot Hwy and follow that road/trail.
You willl see a trailhead on the left that enters the trees a mile or so down the trail on the left. That trail will lead you to the Pedro Dome area
If you follow the pipeline , you will find yourself in the Chatanika valley in 7 or 8 miles. Or you can continue along the pipeline to 28 mile, take a right,
And you are at the White Mountain trail head.

All depends on how much gas you can carry.

cleary

#5 Post by cleary »

Halcool wrote:Does anyone have a list of local inside Fairbanks area trail heads? Like something off of farmers loop or gold stream, or near the college. Something that I don't have to pack up the snowmachine onto a trailer and drive it there.
Here's some places we've ridden in those areas. It's been a while so not sure what shape they are in. The Miller Hill Ext. Road is on both the north and south sides of Goldstream Creek. I don't know if they connect or not. These trails will get you to the O'Conner Creek Trail or the Pipeline which will both get you to the Old Murphy Dome Road and trails to the north and east. You can also stay on the pipline to the Chatanika Valley and on to Wickersham Dome and access the White Mountain Rec. Area Trails.

Chuck

TheBearAk

#6 Post by TheBearAk »

Quick note on the bike trails. In the Winter some of the Bike Trails are fair game for snowmachines, but some are not. They should be well marked.

Always use caution when using them. There are many pedestrians and skiers.

Also be aware that dog mushers also use many different trails. Something to look at is the tracks on the trail. Dog sleds are two runners about 2-3" wide and about 24" apart.

If you are approaching a dog team from behind, keep a distance between you and them and just wait for the musher to give some indication of when to pass, or a very wide spot in the trail.
If you are approaching a dog team head on, pull off the trail as far as possible and just wait for them to pass. I almost always shut down as you can typically get a comment of appreciation from the musher as they pass. They may also tell you if there are more up ahead.
Dog mushers can be mean and nasty, but often if you show them the courtesy, they will return it. Avoid where they are racing. Typically all the races are focused around the weekends and around the Jeff Stoddard race grounds.
1996 Skidoo Touring E 380
1995 Skidoo Summit 583