Mar 16 & 17 Deadman Lake

Upcoming club rides. Who's got the skinny on the trip, when do we go, where do we meet ?

Moderator: john

mit

Mar 16 & 17 Deadman Lake

#1 Post by mit »

INFO:

Beaver Point Lodge Trail Ride

John Johnston and Tim Berg are planning to lead a trail ride to Beaver Point Lodge on March 16 and 17. Last year it started at the Monderosa on the Parks Highway just north of Nenana. This year they are planning a different route. Last winter Tim completed a trail between the Commissioner’s Trail out of Nenana and the Tanana River. He has been over it this winter already and says it is in good condition. The plan is to go out on one trail and return on the other one. So you’ll always be seeing new scenery. Anyway, that is the plan. Each route is between 50 and 60 miles or about 3 or 4 hours each way. Final route determination will probably be just before departure. Participant input should be accepted.

Beaver Point Lodge is located on Deadman Lake, about 30 miles east of Manley Hot Springs in the Dugan Hills. The lake is about a mile and a half across. It accessed only by floatplane in the summer and snowmachine or ski-plane in the winter. There is quite a trail network connecting the lake with Nenana, Manley Hot Springs and the Minto Flats. As of February 2nd there is about 2 feet of snow cover on the lake and the surrounding area. The trails are in excellent condition. Last year there were 4 of us on this trip. That will be minimum number for the trip with a maximum of about 12. We just used the main cabin last year. The guest cabin can sleep 6. Meals will be provided for Saturday night and breakfast Sunday morning. The total cost is $75.00 per person to include meals and lodging. Gasoline will also be available.

Myles
Tim Berg
The Snowmachine Registration, needs to be Repealed!

billy6384

Re: Mar 16 & 17 Deadman Lake

#2 Post by billy6384 »

I'm pretty sure I will make it on the trip this year. I wanted to go last year but ended up going to summit. Melissa and I will probably both go. When do we have to have the money in?
2018 XF High Country 800 141"
2010 Crossfire 800 141"/Melissa's sled

john
Administrator
Administrator

#3 Post by john »

billy6384 wrote:When do we have to have the money in?
Feb 20th : General Membership Meeting

jasjew

#4 Post by jasjew »

As of right now, Jewell and I would like to join the group. The girls will be staying with some friends :supperhappy:

mit

#5 Post by mit »

I'm going to snomachine out to the cabin Sat the 16th and spend the week. Will miss the General membership meeting. I will recon the trails.
Tim Berg

john
Administrator
Administrator

#6 Post by john »

Slacker, going to spend another week at the cabin sitting on your deck drinking beer..... :supperhappy:

mit

#7 Post by mit »

john wrote:Slacker, going to spend another week at the cabin sitting on your deck drinking beer..... :supperhappy:
Why thank you! May I have another!! :big_grin:
Tim Berg

john
Administrator
Administrator

#8 Post by john »

Remember to pay up at the Mar General Membership meeting for this run.

$75.00 for dinner, breakfast and bed is a good deal. From yesterday's ride, the snow should be excellent with some big fields to play in :)

txcanyon

#9 Post by txcanyon »

There is a 50/50 chance that I may not be able to attend this. (Same issue that kept me from helping at Iron Dog)

mit

#10 Post by mit »

Here is the list of people that I know signed up to go.

John Braley
Nick Billstrom
John Johnston
Tom Seivel
Jason &
Jewell Forand

I went to Deadman on the Telegraph trail on Friday the 22nd and came back yesterday the 26th. On both trips I did over 60 miles.

On the way out the trail had blow downs blocking it before Old Minto and the fresh snow and wind made the hard packed trail hard to stay on in the open. No one had used it since the fresh snow. From Swaneck slough I ran the river going out because I was late leaving Nenana, 2:00PM. I got to the cabin at 8:00PM, a bit chilly at -20 temps.
I spent the next day Taking it easy around the cabin. I was tired! :exhausted:
On Sunday brushing the Trail from the lake to the Tolovana. Then ran down the Telegraph trail from the Tolovana toward Fairbanks for about 9 miles.
On Monday I ran the South trail all the way to the Commissioner line Trail and back put on 67 miles. Saw Sharp Tail grouse.
Then on Tue I went back to Nenana on the Telegraph Trail which was really blown in in the open spots. With several spots blocked by brush. On the trail I meet the owners of the Tolovana Roadhouse going out.

So in summery if we don't get 2 feet of snow before we go it should be an uneventful trip! But I have seen that change before! More to come on the departure times. I really like to eat a Sam's Sourdough breakfast before I go! :banana:

The trip back should be fun lots of open snow between the Tanana and Comish Line Trail. The kind of stuff Paul would really enjoy! :groupwave:
Tim Berg

john
Administrator
Administrator

#11 Post by john »

Tim,

Your da man, thanks for opening the routes.

John Braley is out due to work, so it's down to 6 of us.

Sam's before we go, hum, what time do they open for breakfast, would rather leave before 2:00 :)

john
Administrator
Administrator

#12 Post by john »

Their dropping like flies, now Tom has to bow out for work :(

Lose any more and we may have to cancel.

2manydogs

#13 Post by 2manydogs »

I'll pick up where one of the flies fell, you can count me in.
Dave

mit

#14 Post by mit »

Sam's opens at 6:00 every morning. How does this sound; Breakfast there at 7:00 should be able to leave there around 8. Nenana at 9. Should be on the trail before 10:00. Should put us into the Lake around 2:00. Unless we want to ride around a bit.. If you don't want to do Breakfast just be at the Mondersosa before 9:30. We will form up there.

John it did look like the trail to Manley had been used, if you want to keep going. I know I will be just happy to stay at the lake. We could drill a hole and try for a fish too.

Myles better have the good beer! :devil:

I'm not hard bound on any of these times if you want to go earlier say so! I just may be late. :joke:

See you at the snow rondy to talk about it?
Tim Berg

john
Administrator
Administrator

#15 Post by john »

How about I see you at Sam's, I'll try to be there at 6:30 for breakfast.

We can discuss the route(s) we'll take in and back.

The trail to Manley should be open and well defined after the Iron Dog, Espen (From Tanana) should of staked it all the way from Tanana to the Tolovana Rriver, so it might be a good run up to Manley after we unload at the lodge, or else take the Telegraph trail to Manley for lunch if the lodge is open.

Won't be at the Rondy, going to explore the flats a bit and see about getting to the Wood River on the 9th, anyone else interested in doing some exploring ?