July 4th Valdez Creek

Upcoming club rides. Who's got the skinny on the trip, when do we go, where do we meet ?

Moderator: john

dragonman

July 4th Valdez Creek

#1 Post by dragonman »

:supperhappy: I will be leaving Fairbanks Wednesday noonish for Valdez Creek.
I plan on returning Sunday around noon
Valdez creek is halfway between Cantwell and Paxson on the Denali Highway
This year I'm going from Paxson as there is too much Construction on the Parks Hwy.
From the Paxson side the Valdez creek road is on the right - just before the Susitna River bridge
We usually go in 8 miles to a high flat area. Its a little rough but we take our RV's in. You will need to top off your gas tank in Delta Junction
It's about 220 miles one way. It takes about 6 hours to get there. The Denali Highway is usually pretty good in the first part of summer.
Make sure you bring warm clothes and rain gear as it can be cooler in the am
2015 Polaris Voyager 550 155" track
2014 Polaris 850 XP Touring eps ATV 28: Zilla tires
2014 Polaris RZR 570 26" Swamp Lites
2012 Polaris Pro RMK 800 163"
2012 Polaris 850 XP eps ATV 31" outlaw tires 2" lift

mit

Re: July 4th Valdez Creek

#2 Post by mit »

I guess you travel in packs! :supperhappy:
Tim Berg
The Snowmachine Registration, needs to be Repealed!

john
Administrator
Administrator

#3 Post by john »

Hey Peter,

Is it the construction on the Parks that your concerned with ?

We'll probable leave town Wed late afternoon around 4:00 or so and stay at the pull out at the gate of the Denali Hwy on the Cantwell side and then go down the Denali Thursday morning. Of course with enough coffee I may pull into the "High Flat Area" around midnight :)

dragonman

#4 Post by dragonman »

:4x4: Hey Mitt: Yes those Polarises have to travel in Pacs that way we have spare parts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yes John I'm going to avoid the construction and there's more pavement to run on the
Paxson side
2015 Polaris Voyager 550 155" track
2014 Polaris 850 XP Touring eps ATV 28: Zilla tires
2014 Polaris RZR 570 26" Swamp Lites
2012 Polaris Pro RMK 800 163"
2012 Polaris 850 XP eps ATV 31" outlaw tires 2" lift

john
Administrator
Administrator

#5 Post by john »

How far is the pavement on the Paxson side ? Maybe I'll reconsider my trip down.

How many more miles is it ?

I'm heading to the cabin today (Thursday) and will report on the Park Hwy construction, hoping the waits aren't to long.

I know the Denail Hwy would be 80 miles -v- 60 from Cantwell.

Stephen E. Enochs
Board Member
Board Member

#6 Post by Stephen E. Enochs »

Right now it looks like I will be headed down on Thursday, which side I will go is unknown right now Ive been thru the construction and its not that bad...just a little slow. Ive not been to Valdez Creek so if anyone else is going down on Thursday maybe we can travel together...or not!

2manydogs

#7 Post by 2manydogs »

Drove the Parks last Thursday, it us over 8 hours to get to Chugiak, most construction is north of Cantwell. We decided to take the Rich back on Monday, a little longer but definitely better. New bridge at MaCullum creek I think, with a short delay. Anyway with the Parks what it is I'll be driving the Richardson on Wednesday, see you there!
Dave

billy6384

#8 Post by billy6384 »

Melissa and I went out to Alpine creek for the highway clean up the first weekend in June. We drove in the Paxson side because of the extra pavement, but honestly that first 20 miles of pavement is frost heaves and then it was really rough from tangle lakes to the lodge. So we drove out the Cantwell side and they actually had the gravel in really nice shape, 40 to 45mph as oppsed to the 15 to 30mph we drove on the other side. This was hauling a small trailer too. But I'm really not sure what the condition of the gravel will be on the Cantwell side with all the rain we just had. Just letting everyone know it was in really good shape 3 weeks ago. Unfortunately we won't be on this ride, we'll be on Valdez doing a little halibut fishing. Have a great 4th everyone!
2018 XF High Country 800 141"
2010 Crossfire 800 141"/Melissa's sled

cleary

#9 Post by cleary »

2manydogs wrote:Drove the Parks last Thursday, it us over 8 hours to get to Chugiak, most construction is north of Cantwell. We decided to take the Rich back on Monday, a little longer but definitely better. New bridge at MaCullum creek I think, with a short delay. Anyway with the Parks what it is I'll be driving the Richardson on Wednesday, see you there!
The new bridge is on Phelan Creek, just south of McCallum Creek.

We drove up the Steese Monday and spent 3 days wheeling near Eagle Summit. Mosquitos unbelievably bad. The miners up there say they are worst they've ever seen. Gravel portion of the Steese was in great shape. Very little rain.

Chuck

john
Administrator
Administrator

#10 Post by john »

Just got back from Cabin, road work on Parks is bad, the sections with no pavement are rougher than a cob and had to wait total of 65 minutes at the 4 different pilot car / signal sections.. Also had lots of rain down, so I may go via the Rich as well as I'm thinking the Cantwell side of Denali will be rough.

john
Administrator
Administrator

#11 Post by john »

From Alpine Creek Lodge

"33 Degrees this morning and snowing on June 26!!

Humm, sure hope it warms up before the 3rd July, otherwise I might have to get my winter gear out <)

mit

#12 Post by mit »

Bring a snowmachine with you! I guess the climate is getting colder :oops:
Tim Berg
The Snowmachine Registration, needs to be Repealed!

alaskasc

#13 Post by alaskasc »

The forecast for Cantwell looks great next weekend. Sunny and in the 70's. At least for now.

I need directions to the place we are going. Looking foreward to a relaxing weekend.
Mike C

2015 Summit 800 E-Tec 154"

john
Administrator
Administrator

#14 Post by john »

alaskasc wrote:I need directions to the place we are going. Looking foreward to a relaxing weekend.
Pretty straight forward. Parks Hwy (Hwy 3) south to Cantwell, turn left on the Denali Hwy (Hwy eight) , go about 60 miles to the Susitna Bridge, cross the bridge and hang a left on crossroad heading north.

Road will probable be a bit rough :)

cleary

#15 Post by cleary »

Here's a map showing the Valdez Creek Trail, top and the Windy Creek Trail, bottom.

Chuck