Rivers

Let us know what the weather (hopefully snow fall) is like in your area

Moderator: john

chance1214

Rivers

#1 Post by chance1214 »

Anyone been out on the chena slough yet this year. I've seen some tracks run across it but I wanna ride it from landing rd to nordale to save from riding the beat to death trail along badger. Anyone drilled it or know of any ice reports?
01 Polaris XCSP 500

David

Re: Rivers

#2 Post by David »

The slough is good just not right by the bridges the water is deeper and might be soft snow and ice on top avoid that and you will be fine, I ride it all the time.
YAMAHA RIDERS(4stroke)

chance1214

#3 Post by chance1214 »

Awesome thanks! I'm from the lo48 I'm used to riding on lakes all day but rivers still freak me out a little bit. I'm fine with crossing them in a straight line with the throttle to the bar it's just actually traveling down them that freaks me out.
01 Polaris XCSP 500

Summit800

#4 Post by Summit800 »

Stay on the trail, there are ALWAYS holes in the ice. normally in the same place year after year. stay on the trail and you will be fine

Summit800

#5 Post by Summit800 »

Stay on the trail, there are ALWAYS holes in the ice. normally in the same place year after year. stay on the trail and you will be fine

chance1214

#6 Post by chance1214 »

Marked trails on the actual river or just follow everyone's tracks?
01 Polaris XCSP 500

Summit800

#7 Post by Summit800 »

Follow the tracks, won't be any markers till Iron Dog

john
Administrator
Administrator

#8 Post by john »

Hey Chance

The slough won't get you to Nordale, well it will, but the section between Homes and Nordale isn't the best section to ride and its rare that you'll see any tracks on that section.

I live on the slough and do ride it to the Chena River, but there are a couple of areas to be aware of. Take the slough to Homes and dig bang along Homes from there to Nordale, its a short run.

The slough never gets marked, the Chena River will be marked from Chena Lakes to Downtown sometime after Feb 15th, iron Dog Race week.

If your close to Landing Road, I'd ride to the Chena and run the Chena to Nordale or take the Chena to Chane Lakes. Tthere are a couple of bad sections on the Chena as well from the slough.

kerski

#9 Post by kerski »

This site mat be helpful:

http://aprfc.arh.noaa.gov/

john
Administrator
Administrator

#10 Post by john »

Anyone been on or down the Tanana yet ?

By the bridge at Nenana is see lots of open leads :<(

mit

#11 Post by mit »

As I flew out, I looked over parts of it. There is more open water than I can ever remember. Did not cover the area between Old Minto and Nenana. I'm going to stay away from the Crick on the north side I use to get to the comish trail. There are people using the river between Manley and Deadman but only for a few miles at the bluff. It is not looking good to me.
Tim Berg
The Snowmachine Registration, needs to be Repealed!

paulneva

#12 Post by paulneva »

I have seen riders on both the Chena and the Tanana. I have not been one of them. The Tanana doesn't look solid enough to me yet and those of you who know me know that I am usually on the Tanana pretty early. I'll put up a report after I go the first time. I do not know when that will be.

:dunno:

Paul
Paul S. Renschen

Alaskan Polar Bear

#13 Post by Alaskan Polar Bear »

Happy New Year People
I tired to run the river to the fireworks at UAF last nite, the river is open in so many different spots this year, it was not the best trip ever,
the diversion down Noyes slough was as bad, open spots that others have already broke threw littered the trail,. a nice beaver dam under the Minnie street bridge was holding the waster back and had some water frozen. however on the other side of the dam its wide open, a most miserable climb outa there threw the boulders up the side of the bank, never made it to the fireworks,, still put in 60 miles tho woo hoo
Tony
No track and engine? what's the point?
2006 Polaris 755 RMK 159
2006 Polaris 755 RMK 151
2003 Polaris 550 super sport 121
2002 Polaris 700 RMK 144
1998 Polaris XLT Special 600 121
1976 Polaris TXL 340 Liquid
1972 / 74 Skiroule 300 RTX
and a few more

jpalmer

#14 Post by jpalmer »

I've been on the tanana for a few weeks now, from Cushman down to bonanza creek, halfway to nenana. There are several open leads but there is a good trail that goes around pretty well. The last snowfall smoothed out the bumps and jumble ice pretty well.

There are a lot of tracks up the chena but the mouth looks pretty soft still.

chance1214

#15 Post by chance1214 »

Appreciate the info and feed back everyone! Still don't have the confidence to chance the rivers yet only place I've crossed is the slough behind badger gas on pedee guess I'll give it a few more weeks till I try. It would help if I rode with people more confident with the area that has ridden the rivers year after year until then I'll just stick with ditch bangin.. :crazy:
01 Polaris XCSP 500