McClaren Trip

Upcoming club rides. Who's got the skinny on the trip, when do we go, where do we meet ?

Moderator: john

larry morris

#16 Post by larry morris »

I'm going down Friday. I am trying to play hookey with a couple of hours of work. When I get out of a plan review I am heading out. Hopefully about 2PM. But, after looking at these drawings, it might be a little later.

paulneva

#17 Post by paulneva »

A. J. and I are going down to Paxon on Friday probably leaving sometime late afternoon. Rooms are $70 single and $10 more per adult.

I was at Maclaren last week. Gas is $4.10/gal which is pretty cheap considering. The rooms are clean and all have bedding. Only the delux, duplex cabin has running water. The meals were good to great.

Paul
Paul S. Renschen

paulneva

#18 Post by paulneva »

John and Dean are both sick and are doubtful for the trip. If they don't show, it looks like I will be leading this ride. I am driving to Paxon on Friday and planning on being done with breakfast by 0900 on Saturday and heading for Maclaren pretty shortly after that. See you all at Paxon.

Paul
Paul S. Renschen

COS

#19 Post by COS »

Thanks Paul,
I am heading down Sat. morning. I plan on leaving Paxson parking lot at 10:00 A.M. So whoever doesn’t make Paul’s 0900 take off are welcomed to group up with me. I have been there many times. I will have a tow behind sled and room to carry your gear.
COS
Work hard/Play hard
09 570 Bearcat
03 Viper Mnt.
2010 Bearcat XTZ

paulneva

#20 Post by paulneva »

Thanks, Eric. That will work out nicely. I won't leave Paxon before you are there. I can get the early-birds on the road and you can bring up the sweep. Have you given any thought to where we want to ride at Maclaren? I have some ideas. I'll talk to you at Paxon and/or Maclaren.

Paul
Paul S. Renschen

rocketdoc637

#21 Post by rocketdoc637 »

Will we wait until everyone (both groups) arrives at MaClaren before taking off and riding from there(whever that may be). It looks like it will be warm possibly wet and windy.

COS

#22 Post by COS »

I’ll try to be at Paxon by 0900. If it’s clear I recommend heading for the glacier. Keep an eye on the sky of course. I got caught way up the West Fork in flat light and wouldn’t want to do that any time soon. Two groups are fine. (Cover more ground that way) Let someone know your destination and we will come join. If it’s real bad light, lets plan on a night ride.
COS
Work hard/Play hard
09 570 Bearcat
03 Viper Mnt.
2010 Bearcat XTZ

REVITUP

Maclaren

#23 Post by REVITUP »

2 weeks, that is right, we have not put a newsletter out in 2 weeks. Why you may ask: well, we had little changes. Just a string of beautiful days, then this week we began to get snow. That is right, snow, over a foot of new snow while everyone else was getting rain. The temperatures are hanging around 32 or a little higher, but we have not had rain!!!

Paxson to the Maclaren Valley The trail is in incredible shape, with the fresh snow from last week, the trail was groomed and then more snow on that. It will be groomed again this week we did get a bit of wind so the trail at the Maclaren Summit has a drift, but that will be taken care of with the groomer .

Maclaren Valley to Cantwell This section of the Trail is in good shape, lots of mushers out for their last minute go before the Iditarod. There are some drifts around 50 – 60 mile so be aware of this if you come across the road before the groomer gets to it. However that area should be freshly groomed by this weekend.

7 Mile Trail This trail is in fantastic shape lots of new snow on this one. Beautiful and awesome riding, this has become a favorite of the novice to intermediate riders.

Maclaren Glacier Trial Will be groomed this weekend as well. But until the groomer gets up to fix it, there is a break in one of the little channels crossing the Maclaren River. We have it marked very well, and you can go around it, but keep your eyes open for it. All the groups going out on this trail, have found lots and lots of powder is this area.

The Mac-Su Loop No one has been on this trail for quit a while now. This is a rugged trail, not to be attempted by novice riders. The section through the canyon is getting really narrow so you might have to go around that spot. There is some overflow, not bad, but enough where you will need to be cautious. The Susitna is beginning to get large patches of overflow on it in places. Use EXTREME caution if using this trail.

The Lake Louise/Maclaren Trial The trail is in, but with the exception of the groomer doing the first 24 miles, there has not been any work done on the trail. It is opened but don’t expect a very nice trail at this point as there still is not much snow between here and the Alphabet Hills.

Take Care and we look forward to seeing you on the trail!!!!

CAUTION: There are lots of caribou and moose in the area, please drive with care.

Alan Echols

Vice President – Denali Highway Trail Club

REVITUP

Maclaren weekend

#24 Post by REVITUP »

WOOHOO! What a great ride :rocki:.