Windy Gap

Upcoming club rides. Who's got the skinny on the trip, when do we go, where do we meet ?

Moderator: john

ObiJuanAk

#16 Post by ObiJuanAk »

I am already running late, so I'll stick with the time I posted. :exhausted:

See you there!

Juan

JDPLWITT

#17 Post by JDPLWITT »

1000 Hilltop It is. Snowing outside the house right now. Good Sign.
Jeffrey

"From the North will come a hunter who will strike fear into the hearts of its prey"

john
Administrator
Administrator

#18 Post by john »

How was the ride?

I got wood today and it was snow to beat all h-ll the whole we were cutting and loading. Hit the Parks to find lots of snow had fallen and the roads were icy.

Darrell

#19 Post by Darrell »

just think you could have riding is stead of cutting wood. :whip:
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

JDPLWITT

#20 Post by JDPLWITT »

Was a good ride. 3 of us met for breakfast and rode and we ran into another FST'r on the trail. 23 degreees and light snow. Did about 35-40 miles from the mile 28 trailhead to Moose Creek Cabin to Wickersham Shelter and back to the trailhead. Some trails were better than others but overall it was better then when we ran it in November with a few areas windblown. Of course we were not alone, maybe 15-20 different users at the trailhead from mushers to skiers to other riders. Heard the trail out past Crowberry Cabin was is good shape up until the river crossing near Cache Cabin - when the rider turned around.

If it stays cold and occassional snow the Whites will be good a while yet. If it gets warm and sunny again maybe not.
Jeffrey

"From the North will come a hunter who will strike fear into the hearts of its prey"

john
Administrator
Administrator

#21 Post by john »

Got ta have the heat :angrydev:

Maybe next weekend if the temps stay cold enough.

ObiJuanAk

#22 Post by ObiJuanAk »

John and Big John, you missed a good ride . It was short and sweet, no casualties this time! :thumbs: Enough snow on about 3/4 of the trail, we did see some grass on the wind-blown part of the ride (the connector tail between Moose Creek trail and the Wickersham trail. Lots of users, like Jeff mentioned. One dog team, several skiers, several sledders and one interesting set-up: dad was skiing, leading his team of three dogs all in line, pulling a tub-type sled that in turn was pulling a little girl on skis. It almost looked like the girl was water-skiing behind a tiny boat :rofl: We pulled off the trail as many times as possible to allow the non motorized users a clear trail, hopefully generating some good PR for motorized users. Everyone we came across was friendly and thanked us, so here's hoping. I've never seen so many users on those trails. The temperature at the Moose Creek cabin was 25° F. By the time we got back and loaded the thermometer in the car was indicating 18° F, so the temperature actually went down during the ride.

Seeing all this new snow we got today there is definitely hope for a ride next weekend. Keep your fingers crossed. :rocki: :sled:

Juan

john
Administrator
Administrator

#23 Post by john »

Arctic man is Wed through Sun, but we might be up for a ride in the Whites if the snow lasts till then. Maybe a Nome Creek run ? or 42 mile Steese ?