Cleary/Chatanika Trails

Where is the best riding to so far this year

Moderator: john

cleary

Cleary/Chatanika Trails

#1 Post by cleary »

Riding up here is great. I groomed the trail from Cleary Summit to the Chatanika Lodge this week and Ronnie at the lodge has groomed from the lodge to the Elliott and Haystack. Thursday afternoon we made a quick run from up here to the Moose Creek Cabin and back. We went via the Chatanika Lodge and Haystack. The trail from Haystack to the White Mountain Trail is somewhat bumpy but not real bad. Took us an hour and a half each way from our place up here at Skiland.

David

Re: Cleary/Chatanika Trails

#2 Post by David »

I am thinking about riding up yhere next Saturday with my grandson, can we park by the lodge abd ride down to Chatinika?
Thanks
Dave
YAMAHA RIDERS(4stroke)

john
Administrator
Administrator

#3 Post by john »

When you get to the top of Cleary , hang a right and go towards Fairbanks Creek Lodge, on your right (about 3/4 of a mile down the road) is a good sized parking area. You can park there and ride to the Chatanika or where ever you all want that point on.

cleary

#4 Post by cleary »

As John says you can park up here in the DOT maintained parking lot. That is the end of the winter maintained section of the Fairbanks Creek Road. You can also park at the Chatanika Lodge and access the trails up here. The Snowtravelers put an unloading ramp at the lodge in case you need one. Below is a map of the trails out this way.

Chuck

Darrell

#5 Post by Darrell »

Chuck are you still riding around up there? I would think there maybe some riding in the whites and out your way this weekend. Good time to have scrachers too. :needsnow:
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

cleary

#6 Post by cleary »

Hi Darrell,

We went to Summit Friday and had a great weekend. With 3 or 4 inches of new snow on a base you could walk on the riding was also great. When we left Summit yesterday the temps were in the 40s and 32 up here when we got home. There was a very large crowd up here at Skiland and doesn't look like there has been any melting up here.

Chuck

Darrell

#7 Post by Darrell »

Glad to hear you got down to summit. We were down for Arctic man weekend and were limited by weather.
Did do some riding back at 7 mile lake in the Amphitheater mt. went over the “steps” to the Eureka valley wow what a view. Snow was not as set as it was for you. Took some gas to get there.
Went for a ride on the 21st into the Whites from 28 mile Elliot one of the best late rides I had for long time. After the first 6 miles the trail was good and rode to Caribou bluff cabin and beyond. High light was seeing a wolf.
This year I put scratchers on and would have been able to make the trip with out them $70 well spent there. Put 82 mile on.
Look forward to your reports as to when the four wheeling will start up your way.
Your reports and grooming efforts this winter were appreciated me and my wife as we used the Chat trails more then few times.
:clap: :clap: :clap:

cleary

#8 Post by cleary »

DOT started plowing the Fairbanks Creek Road yesterday. As usaul it snowed 2 or 3 inches up here last night. I rode over to Gilmore Dome yesterday and the trail is bare in spots. Time to pickle the sleds.

Chuck

john
Administrator
Administrator

#9 Post by john »

Thanks Chuck, and a ditto to Darrell's thumbs up to you all.

So, when you pickle your sleds, do you use the extra pickling juice to grease up your ATV's :4x4:

Darrell

#10 Post by Darrell »

Whites are still in good shape rode from 28 mile today’s put on 92 mile toward cache mountain loop and back, it was choppy to many wind drifts. Think I would stick to the Wickersham ck trail it was smooth when I run that Tuesday. You guys that put your machine up, to bad the riding is great, the parking lot isn’t out yet at 28 mile, with new snow, 3 to 5 inches and past Cache cabin 8 or more.

:sledwave: