November 28

Upcoming club rides. Who's got the skinny on the trip, when do we go, where do we meet ?

Moderator: john

paulneva

November 28

#1 Post by paulneva »

John,

You are leading on the 28th. How about some details? (Enough for the News-Miner.)

Paul
Paul S. Renschen

john
Administrator
Administrator

Re: November 28

#2 Post by john »

A tough one, temperature wise. We'll be following the Fairbanks Creek route visible at http://www.snowtravelers.org/FB_creek.php For the best overall view of the route go to http://www.snowtravelers.org/maps/Circl ... _Loop.html

The ride will start at the Fairbanks Creek Winter Trail Head, which begins just below the Fairbanks Creek Lodge on Cleary Summit. We'll follow the Fairbanks Creek Road east to the 2nd Circle Trail cutoff and then head North to a point just west of Coffee Dome, head south-west from there back along the Old Fairbanks Circle trail to Cleary Summit, some hot coffee and cocoa at the lodge and warm rigs.

Depending on the temps, we may divert near Coffee Dome and ride the additional 12 miles or so to Sorrell Creek. This would still keep the ride to under 60 miles RT, minus play time if we run into some powder spots.

The temps are a concern as this route drops into some of the valleys along the ride which normally mean colder temps. So the cut-off for this run will be -10 at the lodge prior to leaving.

For the DNM use
We'll be following the Fairbanks Creek route visible at http://www.snowtravelers.org/FB_creek.php For the best overall view of the route go to http://www.snowtravelers.org/maps/Circl ... _Loop.html

The ride will start at the Fairbanks Creek Winter Trail Head, which begins just below the Fairbanks Creek Lodge on Cleary Summit. We'll follow the Fairbanks Creek Road east to the 2nd Circle Trail cutoff and then head North to a point just west of Coffee Dome, head south-west from there back along the Old Fairbanks Circle trail to Cleary Summit, some hot coffee and cocoa at the lodge and warm rigs.

john
Administrator
Administrator

#3 Post by john »

Based on what dirtyrice said the trail from 42 mile was like and McLaren's report, we are a hurting this year for snow. (So dirtyrice I wouldn't call it decent, just barely acceptable)

The snow levels are low everywhere and we need to do some more dancing :) Hey Jody, how you coming on that Bonfire ??

Well let's hope we have some more snowfall and the trail out of Fairbanks Creek isn't all wind blown, rough and hard next Saturday. If it is, it may be a short ride.

paulneva

#4 Post by paulneva »

John,

Which machine are you planning on riding on Saturday?

Paul
Paul S. Renschen

john
Administrator
Administrator

#5 Post by john »

Panther, not enough snow for the M sled I don't think. Might as well ride a nice comfy trail sled and I'm sure I can break trail in anything we run into with the snow levels as they are so far this year. And if not, you lead :P

Thanks for your thoughts on the Land Issue question and I agree about not having a place on the front page, just wondered what other thought.

john
Administrator
Administrator

#6 Post by john »

Yesterday there were heavy snow warnings on the Elliott Highway: "from Rest Area Milepost 28 to Milepost 114 " and now I see clouds, maybe we'll be getting some of that snow in time for Saturdays ride ?

aurora_hunter

#7 Post by aurora_hunter »

Does anyone know what time we are departing tomorrow?

JWoodburn

#8 Post by JWoodburn »

I believe we are supposed to meet at the lodge at 900 for breakfast. I think we are supposed to park at the bottom where the offload ramp is and then ride up to the lodge. I dont think there is enough parking at the lodge. But I may be wrong I will be at the lodge at about 900 for breakfast.

Jeromy
Freedom is not free

aurora_hunter

#9 Post by aurora_hunter »

Thanks Jeromy for the info!

Naoki

john
Administrator
Administrator

#10 Post by john »

Jeromy,

You got it right. We'll leave from the lodge after breakfast, sometime around 10:00 I'd estimate.

micorps

#11 Post by micorps »

Is the ramp right on the steese or do I need to turn, if so please let me know what road i turn off on. I am assuming its not the road at the top where you turn to go to the lodge. Thanks for the info. Tim

john
Administrator
Administrator

#12 Post by john »

The ramp is in the parking area were meeting at by the Fairbanks Creek Lodge, "not" on the Steese.

Turn on the top (Fairbanks Creek Road) and go towards Fairbanks Creek Lodge. Follow the road and bear right at the junction, not towards Skiland.

About a mile down on the right is the parking area, the ramp is in the parking area..

irshpryd40

#13 Post by irshpryd40 »

Sorry wife and I wont be making this ride either. Still not enough snow for a 163 or a 155. Maybe someday we will get enough snow to ride in. Ya'll have fun!

john
Administrator
Administrator

#14 Post by john »

irshpryd40 wrote:Still not enough snow for a 163 or a 155.
Got to agree, but we did have a great ride (pics coming soon), even those who brought their 162's out enjoyed it "thumbright:

Keep doing that snow dance though and maybe we'll get enough for you to join us, even if it means Cantwell or Summit.

john
Administrator
Administrator

#15 Post by john »

Pictures are uploaded so you can see the ride, well, where we stopped for a break anyway .....