Mar 20th - 21st: Cantwell

Upcoming club rides. Who's got the skinny on the trip, when do we go, where do we meet ?

Moderator: john

john
Administrator
Administrator

Mar 20th - 21st: Cantwell

#1 Post by john »

Figured its time to start comments on this ride. Last time I was in Cantwell, Killer Smoke was closed, so we may need a new meeting place.

We will discus the ride at the General Membership meeting on the 17th.

dirtyrice

Re: Mar 20th - 21st: Cantwell

#2 Post by dirtyrice »

I have a muffpot in my sled so the hot meal is easy to find!

The snow is the tricky part though. From what I'm hearing it seems like the Igloo is the place to be in the Cantwell area.

A few friends and I are heading that way Saturday if anyone is interested. Unfortunately we are full up on trailer spots and I prefer only people with long track sleds come along, but anyone from the club is more than welcome to meet us there. We will park at the turnout at mile 188 and head back to the Igloo to ride. I've never tried going East of the Parks so this will be an exploration run, but I have been down to mile 188 before this year and the snow isn't bad.

-Ken

john
Administrator
Administrator

#3 Post by john »

Take some pics and keep us tuned in to what you find.

irshpryd40

#4 Post by irshpryd40 »

Dirtyrice,
Hey the best riding in the Cantwell area is if you go to the turnout just past the igloo on the right side of the road and take the mine trail on the right side head toward Dukel Mine. That is the best riding I have had this year except for the ride to McClaren. The mine trail is pretty bumpy and you have to cross the river but the snow out toward the mine is awesome. I havent been behind the Igloo this year but the majority of the snow fall is west of the parks highway. That is just my 2 cents worth though. I would go this weekend but am heading to the rondy with the wife. If you want to take a trip to Paxson and head towards McClaren let me know. The snow out that way is real good and lots of powder to play in.

dirtyrice

#5 Post by dirtyrice »

I actually got a ride report from the Igloo side and they said they rode all day behind the Igloo and never ran out of good powder. That was a week and a half ago.

As far as Maclaren goes, sure I'm up for it. I want to diversify and ride new places. Maybe well try for that ride not this coming but the following weekend.

-Ken

irshpryd40

#6 Post by irshpryd40 »

Cool deal.
I am actually planned a trip to Paxson heading toward Maclaren the weekend of the 20th. If you are down for a ride then let me know. If you need trailer space I have plenty. I will have one person with me and room for 2 more sleds.

john
Administrator
Administrator

#7 Post by john »

So does anyone plan to ride Cantwell on the 20th ?

dirtyrice

#8 Post by dirtyrice »

john wrote:So does anyone plan to ride Cantwell on the 20th ?
I guess right now I will say I am undecided and where I ride on the weekend of the 20th depends on what Cantwell looks like this weekend. I haven't done a group ride with the Snow Travelers since the 1st ride of the season so I would like to do another one. If I had my way I would do both rides but I just havent figured out how to be in two places at once yet!

I'll know more after this weekend and if the snow behind the igloo is good enough maybe I can convince Chris to come to Cantwell on the 20th too!!

-Ken

john
Administrator
Administrator

#9 Post by john »

john wrote:I just havent figured out how to be in two places at once yet!
In all in your mind :tounge:

Kool, I'll be driving the RV down and staying at the pull out just passed the igloo on the right.

irshpryd40

#10 Post by irshpryd40 »

I am game for what ever. A few friends of mine just drove through cantwell and said most of the snow is gone. Dirty let me know what it is like after this weekend. If it is good I will go on the club ride with you guys. Other wise I will make the Maclaren trip again.

dirtyrice

#11 Post by dirtyrice »

We had a blast this at Cantwell. We parked at the turnout just south of the Igloo at mile 188 and went into the mine road but before we hit the river we cut south and followed the network of fields and boondocked through the fields and trees for hours. Evan found a pretty awesome shelf that dropped down towards the river and we went and did some hillclimbs coming up from it. Snow was good for sure. We had a solid 4 ft base and it hit 5 to 6 ft or more at times.

Sadly, I forgot my camera and nobody snapped any pics. We took some video of us playing in a little protected field but that was it.

I am possibly going down again on Friday (tentatively based on getting the day off work).

-Ken
Last edited by dirtyrice on Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

irshpryd40

#12 Post by irshpryd40 »

I wont be able to make the trip this weekend but will for sure go on the 20th. Did Evan show you the powder fields? I took him there a few weeks ago and gave him the tour de cantwell lol. D-rice pm me and I will give you a call and figure out about this weekend. Maybe I can talk wife into letting me out, her family is comming in form Cali on Wednesday.

dragonman

#13 Post by dragonman »

Hi
We went 3/5 & 3/6 to cantwell: went down the mine road to the fields and the airport the next day to the bull river great a couple of miles in.
See attached pics.
2015 Polaris Voyager 550 155" track
2014 Polaris 850 XP Touring eps ATV 28: Zilla tires
2014 Polaris RZR 570 26" Swamp Lites
2012 Polaris Pro RMK 800 163"
2012 Polaris 850 XP eps ATV 31" outlaw tires 2" lift

irshpryd40

#14 Post by irshpryd40 »

I will be making this ride. I do have trailer space avaiable as it will just be me attending. Wife is going to be at out house races this weekend. I do have room for 3 sleds on my trailer. Not sure if I will be staying over night. Depends on conditions at Cantwell and also if anyone takes up offer. PM me or reply to this post.

John,
What area are you shooting for down there?

john
Administrator
Administrator

#15 Post by john »

My plan for now is to go down Friday evening and stay until Sunday.

If there's room, I'll be parked at the first pull out to the West of the road, just south on the Igloo.

The current ride says meet at Killer Smoke, but I believe they are closed down or at least they were last time I spent the weekend in Cantwell.

I'll send out an email to the club list and we'll discuss it Wed night too. But for now I'd just as soon meet at the pull out, say 10:00 AM, and go from there.