Mar 20th - 21st: Cantwell

Upcoming club rides. Who's got the skinny on the trip, when do we go, where do we meet ?

Moderator: john

Opie

Re: Mar 20th - 21st: Cantwell

#16 Post by Opie »

John,

Your message says "I'll be parked at the first pull out to the West of the road, just south on the Igloo."

Does that mean "just south of the igloo" I just want to make sure the exact spot you are talking about, as I usually park at the Igloo, and have never ridden on the other side of the rode.

Thanks,

James

john
Administrator
Administrator

#17 Post by john »

:rolf:

Yeah, I mean "Just South" of the Igloo.. Be a bit hard to get "on" the Igloo, course I'd have a great view if I could. I don't remember how far down the road the road the pull out it, but I'll be in the first one I see.

Do you ever get harassed for parking at the Igloo ? If I could, that would be better parking place but it wasn't plowed out last month and I've heard that their not to fond of folks parking there now ?

usafracer

#18 Post by usafracer »

It's still not plowed and the turn out is about 3/4 mile south of he igloo. I was there Sunday. If I was you guys I would head to the power lines behind the igloo and go from there.

john
Administrator
Administrator

#19 Post by john »

Thanks, we may just do that. I did want to ride the fields toward the mine, but I'm open for options :<)

usafracer

#20 Post by usafracer »

We could not find a field that was not tore up and the mine trail was so rough it beat my kidneys right out of me. We did spend a lot of time playing in the pines though. If anyone has face book there are a few videos that my buddy paul took that are posted on my page.

You can search for me with my e-mail address. usafracer@gmail.com.

irshpryd40

#21 Post by irshpryd40 »

If you go to the West of the Highway there are a bunch of "honey Holes" that no one knows about. I always find new powder that hasn't been torn up when I go. If you go East of the highway behind the Igloo follow the lines about 2 miles then hang a right and head up the hills. It opens up back there to some pretty sweet spots as well. Not too sure about having people who aren't comfortable riding back there who are not used to riding in deep snow though.

John if you bring a map to the meeting tomorrow I can show you all the spots.

hvhavel

#22 Post by hvhavel »

john wrote:My plan for now is to go down Friday evening and stay until Sunday.

If there's room, I'll be parked at the first pull out to the West of the road, just south on the Igloo.

The current ride says meet at Killer Smoke, but I believe they are closed down or at least they were last time I spent the weekend in Cantwell.

I'll send out an email to the club list and we'll discuss it Wed night too. But for now I'd just as soon meet at the pull out, say 10:00 AM, and go from there.
I am hoping to go - Do you think there is enough snow for my Bearcat?

I have never ridden out that way. I _assume_ by Igloo you mean that weird building on the left side of the road as you head from Fairbanks toward Anchorage. It will be just me as the husband has to go to work. How long of a drive from Fairbanks is the Igloo? (I need to know when I need to leave the house (CHSR).)

Confirming - We meet at 10:00 am in the pull out across from the "Igloo". Is someone willing to give me their cellphone (if they even work near the Igloo) in case I get confused?

Thanks!

Heather Havel

john
Administrator
Administrator

#23 Post by john »

Hey Heather,

Cell 460-9935, doubt it'll work though. The Igloo (The Weird Building) is at about mile post 190, so figure its 165 miles. Road all depends, if it stays as nice as it is probable be a fast drive down. Tyler (my grandson) and I are going down tonight, we'll be in the motorhome in the turn out about 3/4 of a mile farther south. If you show up early I'll have coffee ready :<)

That Bearcat should be able to run over snow, rocks, water or dirt, so yeah there should be enough snow <LOL>

We'll see who all shows to determine where we ride, Tyler is riding grandma's Cougar and its set up to hit the powder, so we'll be good for deep stuff. Its the trees that worry me, he has a had time missing them .....

hvhavel

#24 Post by hvhavel »

I didn't realize it was quite that far, and I'm not going to kid my self thinking I'm going to crawl out of bed at 6 a.m. to get there by 10 a.m.

Next year I'll plan better and just do what smart John did, drive down the night before.

=(

Heather Havel

irshpryd40

#25 Post by irshpryd40 »

Great Ride!!! Wife and I had a blast. Looking forward to Summit this weekend.

john
Administrator
Administrator

#26 Post by john »

Excellent ride, warm weather and decent snow, for this year anyway. Rode the East side of the hwy behind the Igloo on Sat, will have some pics later. The temp were way high, Pat was down to his t-shirt half way through the day :)

Sunday Tyler and I rode to the mine, the mine road was beat to all get out, but once we hit the river it wasn't bad. We rode past the mine and into the Golden Zone a little, not much, just the first hill and enjoyed the view and then came on home.

Good weekend run.