Tanana Flats Anyone

Upcoming club rides. Who's got the skinny on the trip, when do we go, where do we meet ?

Moderator: john

john
Administrator
Administrator

#16 Post by john »

dlowell wrote:Just where are you meeting? Where is the Beep?
Don L.
Don, your emails keep getting rejected. My cell 460-9935

Were meeting at 10:00 AM, call me

Darrell

#17 Post by Darrell »

So did you all make it to the flats? How about a story? :shock:

john
Administrator
Administrator

#18 Post by john »

Short version;

First tried to cross at the confluence of the Tanana and Chena, made it to the first island we usually ride across and then island hopped to the 2nd one. Ice was pretty jumbled and nobody was brave enough to try and cross :)

So we backed tracked and went down the channel we also usually go down to get to the main channel, again more jumbled ice and no one got any braver.

Drove back down the trail along the dik-e to So Cushman ad crossed there following a trappers trail to the road. ode up to Clear Creek Buttes.

Temps were showing at -10, so we had a short break and headed back All told some 40 plus miles. The snow wasn't to bad on our first try across and near the Butte, but along the road it was pretty thin.

[albumimg]831[/albumimg]

[albumimg]832[/albumimg]

[albumimg]833[/albumimg]

[albumimg]834[/albumimg]

[albumimg]835[/albumimg]

Darrell

#19 Post by Darrell »

Wow I would have layed money on the trail being in from the mouth of the Chena. Tell's you just how bad this year is. If I would have been off during the day light hours this week I would have drove up to overlook off Chena ridge and seen if there was a trail down the Tanana. Looks like Cantwell is the place to be but even that's a long way to go with this short day light.

john
Administrator
Administrator

#20 Post by john »

South of Cantwell, even farther away. Heard the best riding is out of the Igloo or farther south and the snow is good when you get farther back.

Paxson to McLaren is also suppose to be decent, might see about checking it week of Xmas.

Darrell

#21 Post by Darrell »

When I talk Cantwell I never go North of the third pull out (Almost to RR crossing). Snow really tapers off toward Cantwell from there.