Old Murphy Dome Road

Upcoming club rides. Who's got the skinny on the trip, when do we go, where do we meet ?

Moderator: john

john
Administrator
Administrator

Old Murphy Dome Road

#1 Post by john »

Anyone know the area ? want to lead the ride?

I know I'm down as the ride leader, but to be honest I don't ride in that part of country usually. So I guess I could lead, as long as folks don't mind getting lost :oops:

Bring lots of survival gear if I have to lead :P

paulneva

#2 Post by paulneva »

Sorry John, I have never ridden Old Murphy Dome Road either, so I won't lead that ride. But if the map is correct, it will be an easy lead for you. Have you decided where and when we are starting?

Paul
Paul S. Renschen

john
Administrator
Administrator

#3 Post by john »

The 1 place I have ridden in that area, 3 mile Murphey Dome road which is down Sheep Creek road 7 or 8 miles, on the left is Murphey Dome road. There is a large gravel pit on the right side of the road at 2.5 miles (if memory serves me right). We'll meet at the gravel pit. Should be plenty of parking. I plan to follow the trail we took back in March (Shane lead then) and see where it gets us :).

Bring your GPS's, with any luck we might make Fairbanks Creek Lodge for lunch.

JDPLWITT

#4 Post by JDPLWITT »

Sounds Like A Plan. Still 1000?
Jeffrey

"From the North will come a hunter who will strike fear into the hearts of its prey"

john
Administrator
Administrator

#5 Post by john »

Yuppers

JWoodburn

#6 Post by JWoodburn »

I am new to the site but I do have a question who all can ride out at murphy dome. The guy I usually ride with sled went down last week at Mclaren lodge. It will be about another week until he can get his sled up and running and I dont want to waste a good day of riding sitting at home.

Freedom is not Free

john
Administrator
Administrator

#7 Post by john »

JWoodburn,

Welcome to the FST web site.

Anyone who shows up as a rule. This is a club ride, but we allow non-members to participate on 2 rides a season, then if you plan to ride more with us we figure you should help support the club and join. Dues are pretty cheap, $25.00 a year, newsletter every month, and special event that we sponsor. We also get a group rate trips like the one were doing in March to McLaren Lodge.

We also tend to have a number of non-club rides where anyone can ride any time. These are basically a "hey I'm going riding, who wants to go".

Hope to see ya Sat.

JWoodburn

#8 Post by JWoodburn »

Thanks for the info will see you there sat. Where do I need to go to get a menbership? I was down in Mclaren lodge last weekend it was geat riding once you get past the tangle lake area, from paxton. The first 20 miles there were some bare spots from the wind but if you stay in the middle of the road it kept my machine cool. Once you get past Tangle lakes there was alot of fresh powder to play in. Lots of dog mushers I think they said there was a race this weekend down there.
Freedom is not free

john
Administrator
Administrator

#9 Post by john »

I'll try to remember and bring a membership app along Sat.

That's pretty typical of the Denali Hwy conditions, at least it has been the last 2 winters, wind blown to Tangles then good snow after that.

Allen and Suzie are pretty good about sending out notices on the dog mushing races, which is much appreciated.

I think I need to move closer to their neck of the woods :D

TIMMER3153

#10 Post by TIMMER3153 »

looks like i won't be able to make the ride tomorrow, have to work. let me know how it goes.
2005 polaris switchback 800

OPA

#11 Post by OPA »

Alright then. I guess the ride is still a go as I have not heard otherwise. By the way, it's snowing out :) Not sure I know the best way to get there from the booming metropolis of NP

Opa
Opa of Triplets

rocketdoc637

#12 Post by rocketdoc637 »

See you all in the morning. COME ON SNOW

Charlie

paulneva

#13 Post by paulneva »

John, Are you going to do a ride report for Crystal or would you like me to?

Paul
Paul S. Renschen

john
Administrator
Administrator

#14 Post by john »

paulneva wrote:John, Are you going to do a ride report for Crystal or would you like me to?

Paul
Please do, might be nice to have different perspectives :)

aragorn

#15 Post by aragorn »

A friend saw the snowmachine trailers at the gravel pit and asked me if I knew who they were and where they were going...how did the ride go? Where did you get to from the gravel pit?
Peace and thanks,
Dennis
2003 Skandic Sport