Blair Lakes

Upcoming club rides. Who's got the skinny on the trip, when do we go, where do we meet ?

Moderator: john

Darrell

Blair Lakes

#1 Post by Darrell »

I run the trail to Blair Lakes this week to preview the trail before I’m to lead the group on the 15th of March. I’m not sure how this run got a "Family" rating but it needs to be changed to the “Advanced level” as it will be a 70 mile one way or 140+ mile round trip. From town to Blair is mostly in good shape but some of the trail had to be broken and there are places where the trail is not much wider then the skis. There will be two Tanana river crossings. This trip will take some skill and endurance. I will run the trail into Blair from Salcha before the 15th of March to make sure some of the trail doesn’t get plowed to the dirt as it has been in the past. John please change the rating to Advanced level on the Events Calendar.

john
Administrator
Administrator

#2 Post by john »

Done and I updated the next couple membership meeting locations :)

Darrell

#3 Post by Darrell »

We start with breakfast at Ruby Café on Van Horn. 9am 3/15/08. We cross the Tanana at the end of South Cushman (no ice bridge this year) then down the winter road (just a trail this year no road) to Clear Creek turn east to Blair lake trail, south to the lakes. As everyone may not know, I call this a Blair lake run but with the distance to cover we really only past thru Blair lakes, run out to and cross the Tanana river close to Flag hill and then run the old Rich. Towards the Salcha cross over to the New Rich Hwy to eat and refuel at Salcha River lodge.

Darrell

#4 Post by Darrell »

This coming weekend there seems to be a lot going on with the Chatanika outhouse race, fun run Ester to Skinny's and back. Now I read of people falling thru the ice at Pikes while the tired iron was going on, not to even talk about how warm its been. I will be checking on the trail to Blair later this week but if you thinking of going on this run how about a post here so I can get a head count. Also check this post Friday night, after I check the river crossing's and trail conditions I will make my call as to go or not. :?

john
Administrator
Administrator

#5 Post by john »

I plan to go. I feel the need for speed :)

How's the ice bridge for crossing ? I've been wondering about getting across the Tanana, both here in town and also near Salcha for gas.

Maybe we need to cancel and go the Whites ?

Darrell

#6 Post by Darrell »

I will check South Cushman Thursday and trip to Salcha on Friday. :wink:

Darrell

#7 Post by Darrell »

As for getting around town this weekend. The open North American Dog race is this weekend with its start down town, they use the Chena and Noyes slough and cross College Rd so watch out for the Doggies they are fast. :shock:

john
Administrator
Administrator

#8 Post by john »

So Darrell, what's the verdict ???

rocketdoc637

#9 Post by rocketdoc637 »

Jeff and I are going to meet at Cleary Summit at 12:00 and ride over to Chatnika for the Outhouse Races

Charlie

Darrell

i'm back

#10 Post by Darrell »

Just got back, 8pm, trail in from Slacha end ok. Meet at Deb's 9am just east of Northern power sports Van horn rd.. Don't unlaod there will have to park south of Sourdough fuel on Lathrop st. and take off from there to south cushman. Will be 140 mile round trip. Questions 452-7284.

Darrell

#11 Post by Darrell »

Will those of you that missed this run may have missed the longest club run to date. We left Altrols parking lot about 10:30 after a breakfast at Debs café. The six of us went down Peger to the dike and east then across the river at South Cushman. After I fouled a plug we took off down the Bonnfeild trail, with in the first 7 miles we shook out some more bugs. (Don’t forget to check your shocks folks.) We then took a left on the bombing range trail, took a left at Clear creek and right on the Blair lake trail to Blair lakes. East to Salcha without to much trouble. Trail was hard and fast good thing we had a little fresh snow on the trail for cooling. Had lunch at Salcha Roadhouse.
John always one to spice things up suggested we go back a different way. So up the Salcha River to the pipeline line and around pump 8, thru Eielson no problem, on to Moose creek bluffs where to keep things interesting I pulled a ham string muscle. We rode on the dike back to Wainwright impact area around the bypass trail to the dike and back to Altrol.
125 mile total, with the run up the pipeline being 10 mile shorter then return via Blair trail from the Salcha Roadhouse.
If anyone has riding times or anything else to add please do so.

john
Administrator
Administrator

#12 Post by john »

It was a great trip, long for sure, but I enjoyed it.

The ride back on the pipeline was even better, or should I just say smoother :)

And let's not forget the pictures....

[albumimg]1033[/albumimg]

[albumimg]1034[/albumimg]

[albumimg]1035[/albumimg]

[albumimg]1036[/albumimg]