6 January

Upcoming club rides. Who's got the skinny on the trip, when do we go, where do we meet ?

Moderator: john

paulneva

6 January

#1 Post by paulneva »

Where is the "Fairbanks Creek Lodge"?
Paul S. Renschen

cleary

#2 Post by cleary »

It's on Cleary Summit at the intersection of the Fairbanks Creek and Fish Creek Roads. When coming from town turn right, east, at mile 20.5 steese onto the Fairbanks Creek Road and proceed 3/4 of a mile. Their driveway is on the left. There is a large, state maintained parking lot on the right side of the road at this point. This is where you should park and unload. This is also where state maintenance on the road ends. Don't try to proceed past this point in your vehicle.

Chuck

cleary

#3 Post by cleary »

cleary wrote:It's on Cleary Summit at the intersection of the Fairbanks Creek and Fish Creek Roads. When coming from town turn right, east, at mile 20.5 steese onto the Fairbanks Creek Road and proceed 3/4 of a mile. Their driveway is on the left. There is a large, state maintained parking lot on the right side of the road at this point. This is where you should park and unload. This is also where state maintenance on the road ends. Don't try to proceed past this point in your vehicle.

Chuck
Here is a link to their map: http://home.att.net/~Mt.Aurora/map_to_mount_aurora.htm

We've had several inches of snow up here in the past few days. Should be good riding.

Chuck

john
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Post by john »

Thanks for the update Chuck.

Hopefully the weather will be kind to us. Temps are projected to be 26 below, seems were either low on snow or to darn cold :wall:

As always, if the temps are 10 below or colder the ride is canceled, let's hope the weatherman is wrong, I would really like to get some miles on in some decent snow.

paulneva

#5 Post by paulneva »

I still think we ought to reconsider that 10 below cancellation policy. It is usually warmer in the hills than it is at the airport.
Paul S. Renschen

john
Administrator
Administrator

#6 Post by john »

Were going to discuss it tonight at the board meeting, minus 10 was a membership decision and one that would need a membership discussion to change.

However, with that said, we have canceled "official" FST rides and still had a good turn out, such as the Sweetheart run last year, it was 17 below and we had 20 or so sleds when we left Compeaus, of course we never made it to Nenana either, it kept getting colder, and colder, and colder the farther down river we got :lol:

If it's not to bad I still plan to be there, but the prediction is for a "high" of 31 below, sorry, but that's just to cold no matter how warm your dressed. I know it's usually warmer in the hills, but not that much warmer and it still gets cold in the valley's.

Darrell

Check Cleary before you go.

#7 Post by Darrell »

paulneva

#8 Post by paulneva »

John, I don’t ride at 31 below either, but I believe we are missing a lot of riding opportunities by having a ridged 10 below cutoff. For all rides around Cleary Summit, Chuck Johnson could make a decision on Friday night. That would be better than using any airport temperature cutoff.

Paul
Paul S. Renschen

john
Administrator
Administrator

#9 Post by john »

Here's the issue. We have high temps in the hills, lower temps in the valley / flats. We had to select a specific location to check the temps so that everyone would be on the same playing field as it were.

The airport is about the best for being a mean average. It may say minus 10, and it could be 5 above at Cleary, but then it would also be minus 20 in North Pole.

The minus 10 as a cut off is mostly for safety, especially for new riders which we do get. I know that we have some riders who would ride at 20 below, and for them that's great, but we have to keep in mind those who aren't as concienous with the temps. We have already had riders are temps below minus 10 get frost bite, so we work on the side of caution.

So, if a run is set and the temps are colder than 10 below and others wish to go any way, have at it, it just won't be a FST club sponsored ride (not at this time). I've enjoyed some rides at colder than that but I've also froze my a-- off on an occansion or two :)

cleary

#10 Post by cleary »

In case you haven't checked the Cleary Summit RWIS site: http://www.dot.state.ak.us/iways/roadwe ... &siteId=29 it is 20 below up here. Was up to 3 below last night and has been gradually getting colder since then.

Chuck

cleary

#11 Post by cleary »

Still 20 below up here on Cleary Summit at 9:00am Sat. the 6th.

Chuck