Saturday 17th

Upcoming club rides. Who's got the skinny on the trip, when do we go, where do we meet ?

Moderator: john

Abbaby

Saturday 17th

#1 Post by Abbaby »

How far is this ride? Is there a place to fill up? One of our machines can only carry 2 gallons and we dont have tanks that fit on the rack of the other machine.

john
Administrator
Administrator

#2 Post by john »

Paul can answer distance, his the leader for the day.

However, one tank of gas should be enough. Nowhere to fill up, you'll be riding in the Tanana Flats all day.

Jesse

#3 Post by Jesse »

Isn't she just cute with the rappid fire questioning? :oops:

paulneva

#4 Post by paulneva »

OK, here’s the plan. Depart at 1000 from Compeau’s. You will need a Ft. Wainwright Recreation Access permit. If you don’t have one, get to Compeau’s a little early and there will be someone there from Ft. Wainwright to issue you one. We will be riding down the Chena and the Tanana Rivers and go into the Tanana Flats by way of the “woods trail.” We will ride to Clear Creek Butte and lunch there. Bring your own lunch! The Cat Kitchen will not be there and there is no place to buy anything out there. I plan on coming out by way of the Salchaket Slew. We should be back before 4:00 pm.

The Tanana Flats is genuine wilderness. There is nothing out there. It will be a nice, easy ride, about a 60 mile round trip. Some of the trails are a little beat up this year, but most of the ride will be pretty smooth going. Because of the low snowfall this year, you can ride anywhere off the trails out there without worrying about getting stuck, but it is pretty bumpy going.

Paul
Paul S. Renschen

Jesse

#5 Post by Jesse »

Paul wrote:You will need a Ft. Wainwright Recreation Access permit.
I have been told to ask if this costs and money, and if so does it need to be cash?

john
Administrator
Administrator

#6 Post by john »

It only cost you the prices of your gas and the lunch you bring.

Of course if you want to pay us for our company no one will object :)

The Rec Permits are free.

Abbaby

#7 Post by Abbaby »

Yeah we'll need to get a pass when we get to Compeaus

Jesse

#8 Post by Jesse »

Just to make sure, and yes... I feel dumb for asking... this is the store Compeaus right? Not like a trail or special spot nicknamed Compeaus?

john
Administrator
Administrator

#9 Post by john »

Yup

rocketdoc637

#10 Post by rocketdoc637 »

I had some friends from work get wet on Salchacket Slew this last week so be careful.

Abbaby

#11 Post by Abbaby »

rocketdoc637 wrote:I had some friends from work get wet on Salchacket Slew this last week so be careful.
Open water? Who last has been on the chena or tanana river? There is alot of open water on the chena.

john
Administrator
Administrator

#12 Post by john »

Always open water on the Chena :)

The Tanana's not bad, at least between FB and Nenana. East of FB is usually open water holes, I don't care to ride the Tanana between FB and Delta myself.

I did hear that the water on Salchaket was overflow.

paulneva

#13 Post by paulneva »

There were 12 of us on the Chena and the Tanana last Saturday. I was on both again today. Yes, there is open water on the Chena. I will get us around that. The Tanana has no open water where we will be going. And the part of the Salchacket that we will be on is safe. I have ridden this route four times already this winter. If you stay with me, it will be a nice, easy, family ride.

Paul
Paul S. Renschen

David

Ft Wainwright recreational pass

#14 Post by David »

Paul if anyone needs a pass for Wainwright they can go to the Visitor center at the Main Gate and pick one any time, all they need is proof of insurance and registration,
fill out a form and walk out with post Decals ready to put on.
It :lol: only took me about 15 minutes today.
Of course I am Retired so makes it a little easier.
See you Saturday the Wife and iIreally plan to make this trip with you guys.
Dave

paulneva

#15 Post by paulneva »

Thanks, Dave, but just so nobody gets confused, you do not need Post Decals to ride in the Flats. All that is needed is a Recreation Access Permit, and Ft. Wainwright has agreed to issue them at Compeau's on Saturday morning before our ride.

John, does Compeau's know we are using their lot on Saturday?

Paul
Paul S. Renschen